Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Calling all Yami experts...

I found a 2005 VX with 500 hours. I can pick up this ski for around $3200. Question is how many hours before this motor needs an overhaul? I'm on the fense and need some advise from people in the know it all department.
    Thank you!!

+1
    There is no correct answer but the hours are only a problem if they are hard, un-maintained hours. Some folks are getting 1500-2000 hours out of the VX.

3. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I've seen a few with 800+ but with the infamous "two quart" problem ( you can't get all of the oil out when changing) neglecting service on that ski will certainly mean the engine is at end of life.

my check would be to see if any oily smoke comes out of it when started, and a leak down test for sure.

Those are expensive motors to replace.

ask the owner for service records and gauge his reaction.

+1
    Only being able to suck out about 2 1/2 quarts from 4 has me doing an oil change every 25-30 hours with a filter every 60 or every other time which is one Summers hours for me. I'm only at 160 hours now and all is good. As mentioned, how hard was it run and how was it maintained makes a big difference. Some have mentioned here that they see well over 1,000 hours on rentals that are still running strong. Not a person in the know. Still learning after 3 years. I just read all that the knowledgeable members post.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    see the new get it all oil attachment for Yamaha engines ( limited number of them if memory services). Gets the oil from the bottom of the sump, not the tank. Pricey for what it is, but so are those engines.

you are following the correct path on your oil service. The engines are well made..that's one of the reasons they didn't bother dealing with the oil in sump issue. I guess a few fresh quarts are better then nothing.

It was beat into my young head tht not changing he oil fitler negated the entire effect of the oil change due to that one dirty quart of oil..and why do I bother getting that last 1/2 quart out of a 4-tec?

PWC Peak (horsepower/cylinders) * V8 = changing oil often is simply a great idea.

+1
    I forgot to mention this the VX ski that I am looking at has been in salt water for 500+ hours and priced at $3200. I have not looked at it yet but IF it looks clean, DEAL or NO DEAL? Your thoughts?

After riding supercharged skis for years I just might find myself getting board running 50 mph+/- WOT

+1
    FWIW I rode a VX once and hated it ... after years of riding 80 mph skis, I could not believe how slow the VX was. I could not get off it fast enough ... it just felt like the entire world was passing me by while I crawled along at WOT. Follow your instincts ... personally I would prefer to be on shore than riding something that agonizingly slow; it was painful.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post
    I forgot to mention this the VX ski that I am looking at has been in salt water for 500+ hours and priced at $3200. I have not looked at it yet but IF it looks clean, DEAL or NO DEAL? Your thoughts?

After riding supercharged skis for years I just might find myself getting board running 50 mph+/- WOT

is it a former rental ski?

A few years ago I jumped on a rental VX110 on a Puerto Rico vacation. I noticed it had 1800+ hours on it (all salt water hours). I asked the Rental guy, "is this the original engine". Yes was his answer.

500 hours? The thing is barely broken in! JB

+1
    I won't personally but a rental ski on salt water at that price. Not that great a deal. I know of a guy selling former rental skis in south Florida that's on Craigslist and if it's this guy, his skis have a reputation of being in rough shape.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information