Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

decisions decisions....

I have been wanting a pwc for quite some time now and I am finally in a position to buy one. I am going to be using this ski for fishing/cruising almost exclusively. I fish and dive off the Florida east coast a lot, and will be taking this ski to the Bahamas a few times a year. That said, I need a ski that can handle a bit of chop. For that reason I am sold on the kawasaki ultra hull, I just don't know which model.

I was pretty sold on the ultra lx because I think that the fuel efficiency will be a big plus. I do however have that hankering for something with a little more get up and go. This is where my questions come into play.

First off I want to buy a new ski if for no other reason than having a warranty. So the options that are in my price range are the ultra lx, and a few leftover unsold ultra 300s.

Questions :
    1: how much faster are the 300 skis over the ultra lx?
    2: what is the difference in fuel economy between the two?
    3: I recently read a thread where a couple people moded a ultra lx and achieved 60mph...is this feasible for someone with very basic mechanical skills? Did it hurt fuel economy? Will it void the factory warranty?
    4: are there other skis I should be looking at?

Thanks for reading! Any and all info is appreciated.
    John k.

+1
    1. Stock they are around 15 mph or so quicker with MUCH harder acceleration. Ultra LX is around 52 and the 300 is limited to 67
    2. The LX has half the power, so the fuel economy is much better.
    3. I hear it takes a good bit of work to break 60 on an LX.
    4. IMO, there is no better ski for what you will be doing than the ultra LX. It has great range, handles the chop great, and is very stable. The 300 would be a great choice as well, but it will drink a lot more premium fuel.

Thanks for the info! I will probably go with the ultra lx since there is that big of a difference in fuel consumption between the two. I will eventually be taking this thing to bimini, west end, freeport, exumas etc...so the fuel burn is a biggy.

Anything else I should be taking into consideration?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    You might look at the VXr/s 2015.... 65+ MPH and no super charger and the new hull is supposed to be a lot better in the rough then previous year models with low fuel burn comparatively speaking....

+1
    No way I would recommend a VX in any flavor for his needs. It's too short for fishing and will not handle chop like the Ultra hull will.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgebackguy View Post
    Thanks for the info! I will probably go with the ultra lx since there is that big of a difference in fuel consumption between the two. I will eventually be taking this thing to bimini, west end, freeport, exumas etc...so the fuel burn is a biggy.

Anything else I should be taking into consideration?
    Hmmmm... I wouldn't be sure on that if you factor in a slow key or ECO mode for fuel consumption in the SC Ultra ,in ECO mode you get 4.5. -5 mpg on 20 gals I say pretty good and you can turn it up for a full blast anytime..

Does anyone have some hard data on the MPG on the LX on a normal day of Recreational riding?

Either way you have the best stable hull moving in the chop other than that little lean left (SC)when idling or floating .lol ,sorry but true..

And tons of storage space either ski..

Yes, if anyone has some actual fuel burn numbers for these boats that would be a great help with my final decision.

Thanks everyone who has chimed in so far!

Kinda like buying a new Mustang with a v6 or a v8..... The v6 will be half the fun.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Lx all the

for your needs NONE supercharged is the only way to go !!!!!

Waz

+1
    I purchased an LX last year as a leftover 2013 and I love it.. The Ultra LX gets excellent fuel mileage, has the same 300 hull and goes plenty fast enough to do what your looking to use it for. The speeds posted above are very accurate. This ski is excellent in chop and runs great when you want to do some sharp cornering. Very fun ski.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information