Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Kevin Shaw: Itís Time To Start Thinking Bigger

I find that if you shut up and let people talk, they’ll tell you more about themselves than you could ever discover on your own. These past two weeks have been a whirlwind of travel, salty photo sessions, tanlines, in-depth conversations with people waaay above my pay grade, hotel rooms with lousy pillows and tiny shampoo bottles, endless hours of driving and flying, and really, really nice meals that I haven’t had to pay for. Add to that possibly the most exciting exclusive The Watercraft Journal has ever landed and the launch of our parent company’s second magazine, sleep has been a necessary inconvenience. Oh yeah, and I lost my wallet like a complete moron.

All that being said, throughout my exploits I was able to sit back and listen to a huge range of personal watercraft enthusiasts from all walks of life share their experiences in and out of our sport. Sadly, I was left feeling like I wish I hadn’t. What bothered me most was first, how negative people were toward others (be them groups, clubs, racers, sanctioning bodies or persons with slightly contrasting interests), and secondly, how isolated they all felt. (This is where your sense of irony should be kicking in, folks.) Again, it’s been said that you can learn a lot about a person if you’d just shut up and let them talk, and I did my best to do exactly that this past two weeks.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 03-20-2015 at 09:39 AM.

+1
    Great piece as always dude. I could sense you might have wanted to say more but just kinda let less speak more. Tell Marcos Smith he can come ride and rage with me any time.

+1
    that's the case with all motorsports, not just pwc...doesn't make it any less wrong, just an observation.

+1
    Thank you, sir.

And Kaybat, I have to disagree (at least to a degree). With one foot in PWC and another in the automotive, I see significantly more in-fighting and feuding in watercraft than the other.

Likewise, my brother, father, and brother-in-law are deep within the competitive SxS sport, and there isn't the level or ratio of fracturing that we see in watercraft.

No, Kaybat. It's not the same in other industries. That's why it was worth writing an editorial.

+1
    Excellent article. ...but sadly the truth.

+1
    i'm not sure what "level or ratio of fracturing" exactly means(but it sounds cool), I agree Kevin, the industry is definetely jaded, and needs fixing....it's not a perfect world.
    Don't go psycho on me Bro

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    “The sport will remain small because so many within it are small. They think small. They act small. When people start thinking big and acting like grownups, like professionals, things will start growing again.”

You totally nailed it. How shamefully so many behave in this sport. Why is it so hard to be proud of each other's successes and respect each other's choices?

8. +1 by:

+1
    Ha, ha. No problem. Let me elaborate: I and many, many other have found that there isn't the level of in-fighting and quarreling or even an equal ratio of fracturing in other sports as there appears to be in PWC.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Thank you, sir.

And Kaybat, I have to disagree (at least to a degree). With one foot in PWC and another in the automotive, I see significantly more in-fighting and feuding in watercraft than the other.
    I could not disagree more. I have been immersed in the streetcar/drag racing/muscle car scene for nearly 25 years (10 on forums) and have been in the PWC scene for almost as many. I see no distinct differences between either environment when it comes to feuding and fighting. Anywhere there are men and fast moving objects, there you will find competitive attitudes. A fruit of competition is feuding and fighting, no matter whether it is PWC, cars, video games, etc.

Hop on over to yellowbullet.com (one of the worlds largest racing forums) and see for yourself. As a matter of fact, their slogan is "Where the weak are killed and eaten".

+1
    Thats one of the reasons I dont belong to any clubs or groups. When we ride around here, anyone is welcome. I invite everyone to come to Mudbug. I will lead anybody on a ride, I may not know where I am going, but you are more than welcome to follow, no matter what you ride, where you are from and what club or group you belong to. Some of the rides and trips I have taken, with like minded people is some of the best times I have had in my life.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information