+1

1996 Yamaha Exciter

I had a neighbor ask me to look at his boat. He said both engines run but one is smoking bad. The other is normal. Well he trailed it over and the boat is a mess to say the least. Dead batteries, broken stuff and a cracked lanyard post.
    So for starters, how to you bypass the lanyard? I found the wires behind the steering wheel but do they need to be connected to each other or separated? It is a black and white wire.
    Next, what would cause this to smoke so much? It looks like the oil pump works on engine speed unlike a seadoo that uses the throttle cable position to meter the oil so there is not anything to adjust??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did you check compression on both engines?

May have more problems than just the oiling, the oiling might even be working normally and the problem(s) elsewhere.

Are all cylinders firing, correct spark plugs, etc, etc.

+1
    Checking all of that in the next hour. How can I bypass the kill switch?

+1
    ok so smoking engine was 125 front, 125 c and 90 in the rear. Other engine as 90 across the board with tons of rust on the spark plugs. I suggested a top end on the one motor and possibly a whole engine swap on the other unless the rust is just on the top end. Both motors turn but wont start. Also will need carb rebuilds. Would it be wise to go premix on this boat? Also where the hell is the gas tank?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    ok so smoking engine was 125 front, 125 c and 90 in the rear. Other engine as 90 across the board with tons of rust on the spark plugs. I suggested a top end on the one motor and possibly a whole engine swap on the other unless the rust is just on the top end.

Both motors turn but wont start. Also will need carb rebuilds. Would it be wise to go premix on this boat? Also where the hell is the gas tank?
    If both engines are the same calendar age with the same engine hours, it might make more sense to install a pair of new/rebuilt engines.

Then at least there is some assurance that the 'older' engine won't bottom end fail shortly after a top-end only refresh.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the fuel tank is located under the front seat..and then under a cover with a zillion Phillips head screws.

install two engines. Sport boats using pwc engines have far more hull to push

that boat is close to 20 years old.

you also want to take steps to secure the drive tunnel clean out plugs. just google that for some advice. it MUST be done or when a plug does blow out, you're into it for several hundred dollars.

You can find a message thread about that problem here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203350

Couple a seasons ago a guy with a Yamaha boat found out the hard way that I wasn't trying to sell him a bill of goods since he "never had a problem with those things".

he sure had a problem paying for them..and the overnight freight since he was only here for a week and he blew the plugs out on the first afternoon. Boat came unhooked and when it came back online, the pressure blew both of his plugs out ( it is a spectacle when that happens as typically the people in the boat have about 100 gallons of water dropped on them)

Since I've corrected every Yamaha Boat I've seen in the county during services ( about 30 of em if memory serves me), I don't bother stocking the plugs anymore. An expensive bit to have on the shelf for a year or two.

People who need em pay the freight..or go home unhappy. It's a huge sudden expense that is not in most peoples weekend budgets

+1
    Good to know, I will let him know.

Thread Information