Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 XL 1200 ltd bogging

So after rebuilding my 1200, I got eveything thrown back together (for the 3rd time) after the leakdown test which showed 0.2 psi loss over 5 Minutes. Threw it in the water and she runs MUCH better, but still not great. It is still running lean and bogging at the bottom end, and really doesnt have the top end I feel like it should. If you gas it from the hole, it will bog and die unless you feather it. if you half choke it and gas it hard out of the hole it does great (until the top end obviously). After a full throttle blast and pulling the plugs immediately, they are a grey color, which I assume means it is running too lean. The fuel filter is new so it is not clogged. the check valve on top of the tank works. no water in the separator up front. All three carbs pop offs are ~60PSI.
    Any suggestions on this one? I really do not want to buy all new N&S, springs, jets, and adjusters for this ski so that I can make it run richer....

I have rebuilt the carbs with genuine mikuni kits, new N&S (stock 1.2), accelerator pump works. D-plate and Chip, Waveeater clips and couplers. Oil block off.

Any help is appreciated.

+1
    Is the PV motor working?

I replaced it originally because the first one was burnt up. It was working fine after that, would open and close when you started the motor and open when it got up in the RPMs. Then it started acting up yesterday when I was taking the thing apart. When I would start the motor and stop it, the servo would open and close like normal, but then it would keep clicking like it was trying to close more. Perhaps the cables need to be adjusted. However, I do not believe this would cause the lean condition on the bottom end. But could affect it in the top end.

+1
    As these PV skis get older, the PV motors seem to be failing more often. Try going through the adjustment process defined in the shop manual. And, yes, if the PVs are open, it will bog for sure on the low end.

Just as a sanity check, make sure the cables are in the correct position and not reversed.

I'm fairly certain they are in the correct position. But yes, I will check the adjustment. I know they are not open on the bottom end, if anything they would be not fully open on the top end.

Thanks for the help.

+1
    I'd recommend checking your pop off pressure.....did you level the arms? The bog is likely from the arms being bent below the chamber increasing pop off pressure and the low speed jet/needle just can't supply enough fuel.

you can verify the PV can move easily and they are not in a bind also.

M

pop off is ~60 on all three carbs, I just lowered them down to ~50. arms are all level. PVs are clean, took them completely apart and cleaned them when I rebuilt the top end. I drilled out the tamper caps on the carbs and am waiting on some T-handles so I can adjust the mixture.

+1
    verify a little bit of choke applied cleans up the bottom end bog...if so your lean....period. Seals....jets ...or plugged up passage way in carbs...

m

Yes, it does clean it up. About half choke and there is no bog. seals are good. Lost .2 PSI over 5 minutes when pressure testing the case. everything is clean. I have it apart now and am waiting on T-handles so I can get the adjustments right. I'm hoping that will fix the problem. I'm also going to do the return regulator mod where you drill out the little holes in the carbs for the return lines and put a 95 Main jet on the nipple of the return line on the last carb to give you the correct fuel pressure. Supposed to help save the check valves.

+1
    When you did the carbs...did you pull the needles out...flush that section with fluid and verify you got fluid going through there and also the weep holes in the bores of the carbs? Most people clean them out but never verify the small openings are clean and free....seen in 100 times. If you are stock...and you are sure pop off is set properly and those bottom needles were at stock then you got restrictions somewhere....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information