Ultra 300X (2011) Throttle position sensor query (appears faulty)

Hi guys,

Just brought a second hand ski (2011 Ultra 300x) and under high load and TPS the darn thing "derates" for a few seconds then jumps back into life. No fault codes come up on the display and I've checked it in dealer diagnostic mode and nothing there either.

Got the Kawasaki Service manual and started checking the DFI system.

Accelerator Postion Sensor seems to test fine.
    Throttle position sensor seems suss. Outside of the range at 0% throttle, outside the idle voltage range and when pulling full throttle the TPS goes open circuit.
    Its (sensor) also making a really wierd buzzing noise with the ignition on (engine not running). Putting my hand on it, I can feel it vibrating electrically.

Rang my local dealer, they are going to put it through a diagnostic test to see what they can find. I enquired about a replacement TPS. However on the 2011 model the sensor and throttle body are a "single unit" at over $2000 AUD. I just about fell off my chair!

Is there anything else I should check?
    Is the sensor supposed to go open circuit at full throttle? I hope I don't have to replace it, having to buy the whole unit is a joke!

Dan
    Australia

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    if its faulty get it fixed !!!!!!!!!!!!

automotive guys have been doing them for years

it supposed to humm/buzz

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    if its faulty get it fixed !!!!!!!!!!!!

automotive guys have been doing them for years

it supposed to humm/buzz

THROTTLE-ASSY
    16163-3717

$1,007.95

+1
    ^^
    Yes the buzzing sound from TB is the Throttle positioning sensor ,it's stays on even after you turn off the ski for 10-15 secs then should stop..
    The voltage will circulate for 10-15 secs ,when you remove the mobilizer key it stops..

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post

THROTTLE-ASSY
    16163-3717

$1,007.95
    My local Powersports dealer could do a little better too Waz ,$889 + the International shipping

But here's I believe a great deal on EBay if you feel you can trust it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281619614025?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

He wants to sell the whole unit as one ,TB ,Intake Manifold ,fuel rail,damper ,sensors,I want to buy just the Intake manifold for $200 but he won't separate ..
    If he sells me the intake manifold you can get the TB with sensor for a few hundred plus international shipping , maybe $75 or so..

Just thought I mention it..

Well I used my engineering brain and sought an easier solution.
    The TPS / throttle acutator is a Mikuni item. They are found on a range of Mitsubishi road cars in America and Australia from early 2000's onwards.
    $75AUD for a second hand one. All I have to do is take it off the throttle body (4 x torx keys) and bolt it straight onto my throttle body.

That should fix the issue.

PS Took it to the dealer and they stuck it on the KDS and couldn't find anything wrong with it. It definitely shorts out.

Turns out the problem with my ski is a slipping supercharger belt! What a mission to change it!

Its's going to be a long weekend.

Thanks

8. +1 by:

2011 N/A champ 2011-2012 turbo champ elpeladodelsamba's Avatar
    +1
    I broke mine and the sensor is from a mitsubishi outlander 2.4 and i payed 90 us for it ! Dont remember exactly what model of mitsubishi but it worked perfect and lasted years

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_NQ_Aust View Post
    The TPS / throttle acutator is a Mikuni item. They are found on a range of Mitsubishi road cars in America and Australia from early 2000's onwards.
    $75AUD for a second hand one. All I have to do is take it off the throttle body (4 x torx keys) and bolt it straight onto my throttle body.

Thanks

Thanks for the good info..

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_NQ_Aust View Post

That should fix the issue.

PS Took it to the dealer and they stuck it on the KDS and couldn't find anything wrong with it. It definitely shorts out.

Turns out the problem with my ski is a slipping supercharger belt! What a mission to change it!

Its's going to be a long weekend.

Thanks
    The first time I had a throttle body off one of these ultra's, I definitely noticed their usage of Mitsubishi parts. Back in the 80's and 90's, the stepper motor idle speed control was a very common failure item on many Mitsubishi models and could be fixed by cleaning it sometimes. This is very good info and a great alternative to a $1000 throttle body.

Thread Information