Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another bilge pump question for you!

Whats up guys i know i have been anoying with all my bilge pump questions i had the dealer install the pump and the placement of the thru hull does bot sit well with me when the ski is in the water it will be about 6-8in over the water line do you think i should put a check valve if so any suggestions i like to beach my ski a lot and worried water will be spilling in while the ski is off thru the outlet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	354290  

+1
    It is good that you wanted the bilge bump, but not so good using the dealer to do the work. Yes, that is a poor location and to use a white thru hull fitting is half-assed. If it was mine I would do the following:

1. remove the white fitting
    2. plug the hole which black Right Stuff Sealer (good PRV location when you get it going 85+mph)
    3. purchase a Black Aluminum fitting from the on line store

4. get some longer 3/4" hose from Home Depot
    5. Relocate the thru hull fitting anywhere on the aft part of the ski near the upper tow hook.
    6. Place a Greenhulk sticker over the hole you blocked off!

All of this will allow you see when the pump is running and that you are taking on water, keep the fitting above the water line while beaching, and give you some piece of mind.

+1
    yep do what JPT said. i am still gathering all the parts for my bilge pump which he pointed me in the right direction for everything.

when i install mine the exit will be near the tow hook as well and i am snagging an orange bilge outlet from blowsion which is just personal choice. the 3/4 inch hose you can get at home depot for around 8 bucks and get 10 feet.

+1
    The dealer strikes again.

Thank you for your reply it kills me to make another hole in the ski when i really dident want to make the first one what if i put longer 3/4 hose and a check valve do you think ill be good? I know of others who have had the thru hull in the same location and they claim to have no problem

+1
    that is where seadoo says its supposed to go but most on here put it somewhere else. i think a check valve would be fine but would it slow down the flow of water coming out if you got into a situation where you need it pumping as much as possible.

what i would do is leave it be for now and ride. see if you get more water in the hull than normal. normal is different to all of us but to have a tablespoon or 2 of water in the hull is normal for me. if you think its more than should be there use a check valve.

+1
    If it was mine I would replace the white fitting with a black one then get some 3/4" hose and run it from the pump up as high as you can in the hull then down to the thru hull fitting. This will stop water making its way into the hull and you don't need a check valve.

Thank you guys that is what i will do longer hose and ill hold off on the valve but y change the fitting?

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    If it was mine I would replace the white fitting with a black one then get some 3/4" hose and run it from the pump up as high as you can in the hull then down to the thru hull fitting. This will stop water making its way into the hull and you don't need a check valve.
    There's the solution right there. Check valves will restrict the flow and could potentially fail open. A hose run that is routed up in a hump as high as you can get it is a great solution that won't reduce the flow rate at all. You could for instance put a loop in it and hold the loop right as high as possible to make the routing/support easier.

What you may want to be concerned about with that installation is the potential for the hose to disconnect from the hose barb on the fitting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dooit260 View Post
    Thank you guys that is what i will do longer hose and ill hold off on the valve but y change the fitting?
    Because the white looks cheap and tacky?

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information