Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

What Are The Best Ski's To Part Out?

I ask this because I bought a blown 1997 Polaris SL 1050 for $400 with a Triton aluminum trailer thinking I was going to kill it only to find out there wasn't a big market on ebay for this particular ski. I'm making money but it's slow going. Also, I realize things are just thawing out throughout the country.

That said - If you can find a deal, blown motor, wrecked hull etc... What are good skis to part out, oldest to newest???

+1
    You'd likely have better luck with newer skis but the purchase price would be much higher than $400.

+1
    What do you consider newer ski's?

It wouldn't bother me to spend 1-2k if I'm able to at least double or more like triple my money in a quicker period of time.

What brands are more valuable for parting out?

On the Polaris I have now I'm on track to tripling my money right now but it will have taken a month to six weeks.

+1
    NOT enough people to make money on parting older ski's anymore. Yes there are people that need stuff but it is becomming less and less every year and the newer ski's just dont break like the older 2 strokes. Yes they break, but enough to have a side job and part them? Well You would have parts everywhere, in hopes of selling them. IDK....

I would do newer ski's for sure.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by trxxx250r View Post
    ... triple my money in a quicker period of time...
    The timing thing is liable to be a tricky aspect.

Sometimes parts sell quickly, other times they just sit. Demand for used parts is seasonal, regional and sometimes just plain unpredictable.

Banned User
    +1
    Im sure almost all of the old 2 strokes are the same but especially Polaris, there are way more parts than people looking for them. I dont buy used parts too often. A few electrical things here and there. The aftermarket has us covered pretty well with new parts now. You can make some money parting out skis but its usually not going to be quick money. You can expect parts to sit around for a while. Obviously the better your prices the quicker things will sell. You need to decide if you are ok with piles of parts sitting around or not.

+1
    Ok, those things I've started to figure out, seasonality, pricing, etc. I'm starting to think if I can double my money in 30 days to free up my investment then the rest can come in as it will, it's gravy. I don't mind stored parts, I have a big yard.

But, what are you guys considering "newer skis", what year and up? 2000?, 2005?, 2010?

Are parts far more desirable for say a Yamaha than a seadoo, etc?

Also, I have a 1997 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 basically same year and motor size as the Polaris sl 1050. Probably competitors for the same market that year. Do you think the yami parts are more desirable than the Polaris? I know the prices are much higher for the yami parts on ebay...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    after the two stroke ban at lake meade started enforcement, we're awash with a zillion old worn out two strokes with crappy trailers that aren't worth the price of a phone call.

Guy called me a couple of months ago wanting to know if I wanted to buy 100 old two strokes in one big fat load. 15k

I took a big fat pass..hope this guy chokes on them as going on a binge when people are kinda down on their luck brings nothing but bad karma.

Most junkyards/salvage are in the decline due to environmental issues and the plain old fact that the new generation just isn't so interested in powersports it seems.

Disposing of old hulls is a huge problem with landfills being more restrictive. We lost our landfill here a few years ago ( hard to believe that with 100k square miles of desert, the epa is worried about groundwater contamination).

I'd suggest people planning on going into parting out anything have a business plan with some _real data_ before they bury themselves with junkers.

ain't a way to make a living anymore.....

9. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Good points as always Pete. The only people running with the 2 strokes any more are those of us who can keep them going ourselves.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    after the two stroke ban at lake meade started enforcement, we're awash with a zillion old worn out two strokes with crappy trailers that aren't worth the price of a phone call.

Guy called me a couple of months ago wanting to know if I wanted to buy 100 old two strokes in one big fat load. 15k

I took a big fat pass..hope this guy chokes on them as going on a binge when people are kinda down on their luck brings nothing but bad karma.

Most junkyards/salvage are in the decline due to environmental issues and the plain old fact that the new generation just isn't so interested in powersports it seems.

Disposing of old hulls is a huge problem with landfills being more restrictive. We lost our landfill here a few years ago ( hard to believe that with 100k square miles of desert, the epa is worried about groundwater contamination).

I'd suggest people planning on going into parting out anything have a business plan with some _real data_ before they bury themselves with junkers.

ain't a way to make a living anymore.....
    Thanks Pete, I hear you but I'm not looking to do this as a full time biz. Just supplemental. I own a moving company. Just trying to get my finger on the pulse of the jet ski market. I really don't care if it's jet ski's quads side by sides..... Whatever brings money. Btw - Out here in AZ at Saguaro and Canyon lake it still seems the 2-strokes far outweigh the 4-strokes.

I don't think the younger generation isn't interested in powersports anymore I just think they don't have any money, no matter how much Obama and the media try to tell us the economy doing great, it aint!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information