+1

Crank Advice 65u

Hi everyone,

I bought a complete motor from a dude west of Omaha. I pretty much expected to open the motor and find a bad cylinder. Instead I found this:

So I initially thought about rebuilding this crank myself. I have access to a 10k, 110k, and 500k press at work, but after looking at the cost of bearings and rods I'm thinking I shouldn't risk munching all that good steel.

My question is: How should I proceed? New OEM is $1,300, New Hot-Rods is $600 and I'm not sure about SBT as I've not really considered that option seriously. I've not called Crankworks or anyone else for that matter...

This is going into a Boat, but the motor won't be worked over. I might clean the ports, match the case to the cylinders, and take a 0.02" off the head, but I'm not even sure I want to do that. I'm no stranger to 2 stokes I have a 76 RD400 with 65,000mi that I've had for over 13 years. I jet conservatively and ride with an attentive ear. No extended WOT driving... yet... but I plan to keep this a long time and I'd like to keep my options open and not be worried. I might decide I need to race someone lol (not likely).

There's no hurry because the boat is still complete and operational.

Please share experiences or advice. I'm willing to cough up the dough for a new OEM, but only if that seems like the correct solution.

Cheers,
    Matt

If its a recreational ski, go with SBT. 400 bucks and you'll be good to go.

+1
    Contact Jeff Seebold at Competitive Crankshafts in Orange, CA 714 922-8229

+1
    You can get that one fixed....and or SBT crank. While there are plenty of haters....I've ran QUITE a few of their cranks in Customer's skis...and even a few in my own and they work just fine for Rec use. Hell the one in my old Raider ran 7000 RPM for 300 hours heh

+1
    I have had no issues with the SBT cranks either. As a matter of fact, I just bought another one that I have yet to install in my wife's 97 venture 760. I think they do excellent work. They have their haters but they are the biggest for a reason. And they do some of the prettiest machine work I have ever seen.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-1 X 2 View Post
    Contact Jeff Seebold at Competitive Crankshafts in Orange, CA 714 922-8229
    I went with Jeff. What a great guy! Fast turnaround. Didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need.

He even pulled off my PTO coupling w/o me asking. I was sweating what I was going to do if he didn't, since I forgot to ask.

Thanks for the suggestion,
    Matt

+1
    I have used a bunch of SBT's stuff over the years without issues but I just tore down a Yamaha 800 with china bearings. The PTO bearing spit out it's inner cage and munched up a piston and cylinder. The double row mag bearing has a cracked race. I hope they have stopped using china bearings.

+1
    I'm putting this back together now. I don't feel real comfortable with the flywheel or the spring cog thing.

Should I just take a gamble for one on eBay that could be just as messed up? I'm not even sure mine is bad. It did spin enough to roach the electronics. Is there any easy way to check my flywheel that got flung off?

Ive seen aftermarket flywheels, but they seem a bit sketchy too. I need advice.

Thanks.

Thread Information