Thread: Towables???

Is my "new to me" sporster really capable of towing wakeboarders, skiers and tubers from the pop up pylon. I have to admit the setup looks really cheap and breakable if much weight is applied.

If yes, do you still think the pylon is strong enough for a 3-person tube?

Thanks in advance!

Lakeland, FL
    I tow a three person "Megawing" (about as big as the boat ). No problems powerwise, and as far as the built-in pylon, I've heard of them bending before, so I try not to stick mine up all the way when towing super-heavy; I feel like that has prevented mine from getting bent. Next time I place an order from Overtons, I plan on getting a "bungie" tow rope. I feel like that would not only be more fun, but also easier on the boat & towable.

So for towing heavy, yes, you could bend it with the right force with it sticking up all the way, but I don't see how one skier or wakeboarder could harm it at all.

Oh, and I'll mention this: The first time I was towing, I thought the boat was backfiring every once in a while, because I'd hear a loud BOOM right behind me. Thankfully, it turned out to be just the tow rope slapping the padded top of the engine compartment.

Hi Bobcajun----I have on 05 Sportster SCIC and I have no problems towing 3 people on tubes, skiers, and wake boarders. As for the tow bar, going into my 3rd summer and no issues.

Lastly, I had an 03 Sportster LE (2 stroke 130 HP) and that boat had no issues with tubers, or skiers either.

Have fun with your "new to you boat"!!!

You should be O.K., tow away! I have heard of the pylon bending under abuse, but not just using it normally.

which basically means its going to bend for me, but will likely be my friends fault and I will have to bash some heads.

I bent the pylon on mine by towing 3 separate tubes, but the replacement was only $20 and it was very easy to replace.

old thread revisited, but i have towed alot of stuff on the pylon including a stranded boat (22' long ) and it hasnt given me any troubles. I was certain pulling that boat was gonna just rip the thing right out of the hull in the stupid chop our lake has but I kept it at barely above idle and it was ok.

Thread Information