New Member saying hi and a couple questions.

Hi all. I am Mike from nj. Just purchased a 99 suv that i will be setting up for fishing. I have researched a lot and learned a lot already. I am still deciding on which gps/ff i want to go with. In the mean time i was wondering if anyone can tell me about the transducers they are using. Are they the ones that come with the unit? or is it special shoot thru the hull ones. Some of the pics i have seen seem to be the regular transom mount ones used inside. I did not know that they are powerful enough for that. If so is it only certain makes that will work or any brand? Also for those using a bilge pump, where on the suv did you drill the hole for the outlet? One more question please. Does anyone know of a pre- fabbed rack for the back of an suv? All the ones i see are for fx's and such with the flat platform on the back which obviously will not work on an suv because of the storage compartments. Thanks in advance. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Forum....

I have used the transducers that came with the depth/FF/GPS units to shoot thru Hull with no problems....I would read the specs on any unit you decide to use though to be sure...as for the bilge pump, is it going to be automatic or manual?...if set up automatic I would put the discharge some where forward on the ski so you can see if it is pumping water as to alert you to a problem.....

+1
    Check with Handyman (Dan) as he has 2 rigs (4 stroke converted SUV).. He has racks, extra fuel set ups, etc.. He's posted videos on youtube as well

+1
    Mike

I have always mounted the Transducer inside and will again, provided I can get the one in there off.

There is a 'pad' in my GTI just perfect for this. I am upgrading to a Humminbird Helix so using the included Xducer is needed rather than 'reuse'.

Just a thought. Transducers are pricey. We rent in the Outer Banks and the house next door has an unimproved launch. I sortof have to drop the Ski off into the weeds. I think an external mount would be endangered in this situation. I like the idea of nothing getting ripped off and am willing to give up a little potential sensitivity.

Steve

+1
    Mikenj, I put a Lowrance 000-11171-001 Elite-5 HDI Combo with Navionics Gold U.S. Charts and 83/200-455/800KHz Transducer 2 weeks ago on my 2001 SUV. I tried the transducer in under the battery box. This is my second attempt. The first attempt was with a Lowrance Mark 4. I could not get it to read thru my hull. If you goto

http://jetskibrian.com/category/rigg...hine-part-one/

Jetski Brian has a very good, clean set up on his SUV. It will show you where to put your sub pump and transducer.

+1
    Here are some picks of my set up. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	354868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	354869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	354870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	354871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	354872

Thanks for all the replies guys. Been busy with family stuff so havent been able to get on here. I ordered the helix 5 as well sundancer. It has the down imaging and will work through the hull according to humminbird themselves. It is backordered so as soon as i get it and install it i will post pics. I am going to do a temporary rack for now just because its time to fish and i do not want to tie it up at a fabricator. It appears in jetski brians pics both the transducer and the bilge pump are mounted in the rear under the battery. And the drain for the bilge is in the rear? Am i correct? Also any input from the suv guys as to where you mounted your second battery and why is much appreciated. Thanks guys i am getting really pumped to get out

+1
    Hey Mike. I have a Kawasaki STX-15F set up for fishing. I mounted my transducer on my stern for 2 reasons. 1- there's little to no room to get past my engine. 2- I wanted the best reading possible. Yes you cant mount it to shoot thru the hull, it was just my personal preference to have it in the water where it belongs. I obviously didn't want to drill into my ski, so i purchased the "Stern Saver" I bit pricey for a piece of plastic and some epoxy but works great non the less. Thread is a little old, hope your out there enjoying it!

Chris NJ

Thread Information