Stuart Florida week of 4/5

Coming down from SAV, Ga. For a week or so w GTR-215.
    Staying in the Stuart / Jensen beach areas.

There look to be a couple of ramps on causeways that can be used for launching. Any one better than the other?

Any riding areas to be avoided or that can be recommended?

Any on the water restaurants that can be recommended?

Best path through to get to the ocean?

Thanks

We usually use this ramp and park.
    http://www.martin.fl.us/portal/page?...TAL&park_id=43

It has access to the ocean, intercoastal, and river.

There is also a ramp that is at the base of the Jensen Beach Causeway. It is further north I you wanted to run some of the river.

The local Suart sandbar is fun on the weekends and it is close to the Sandspit Park.

+1
    I didn't exactly google your area, but maybe you can find something on this page: http://pwctrailfinder.com/FloridaPWCTrailRides.html

Looking forward to warmer weather next week

Thanks for both replies. I had a further look south of the Stuart causeway and there appear to be numerous access ramps. I also see plenty of paths through to the ocean both north and south of Stuart.
    We have a lot of rivers in our area but I am looking forward to being able to pull on a sandbar or island without having to make a 20 mile round trip..

+1
    As andy said, Sandsprit Park is without question your best bet.

Food? If you park/launch at Sandsprit, from the water, just continue heading South and it will dead end into what is called "manatee pocket" Its a dead-end so you can't get lost. Within that cove, its loaded with marinas and several good places to eat (from water or land). Three of these places are...manatee island bar & grill (tiki bar)...pirates cove...shrimper's grill & raw bar.

Where to ride? It depends what type of riding you want to do. If you want narrow river type of riding, definitely take the North fork (make a right after you go under the rail-road bridge. This will take you past "White City Park" and take you till the canal practically ends under I-95/TurnPike. If you do this, make sure you do this when tides are high. Obviously you have the open ocean as an option. The other option depending on ocean conditions, ride south (ocean side) to the next inlet...Jupiter. There are many areas there to ride also. Near the Inlet there is a floating food shack that has dogs/hamburger/chicken. As far as riding North in the actual intracoastal...I can't really recommend it...its wide and boring. If you head South as if you were going to Jupiter, be aware there is a VERY long "no wake" section (about 45 minutes).

One cool thing about Stuart, you always will run across a pod of dolphins (flipper). So bring camera.

Sandsprit

Thanks for all the info. We'll definitely work south towards Manatee pocket. I should almost be able to see that and the landing from the hotel.
    I remember doing a long no wake zone probably 20 years ago in a 53' Hatteras we were ferrying to Riviera Beach / the Bahamas. We watched/listened to a guy standing on his dock with a shotgun in his hand screaming at us for leaving a wake; we were going so slow you could almost count the prop blades turning.
    Really looking forward to warmer weather next week and getting more hours on the GTR.

+1
    Just keep in mind that Saturday will be great weather and calm ocean conditions (almost no wind). Sunday we are expecting the wind to increase and come off the ocean (ie. chop/slop).

If you really want a nice long ride, ride North to Sebastion Inlet. West of that inlet is "Capt Hiram's Resort" that has much to offer. They have live bands playing most weekends. If you don't want to ride skis up, they have boat ramps at the park by the inlet (south side).

Unfortunately we won't get down to Stuart til late Sunday afternoon.. No hotel rooms til then. Looking forward to warmer weather later in the week.
    I really appreciate all the tips and help. We may just truck it up to Capt Hirams first of the week.

Thanks to all who replied.
    We had a great time in Stuart. Weather was perfect, beach was clean and certainly close, hotel was family oriented and in a great spot for all of our activities, restaurants were great and fairly priced.
    The only disappointing factor was the apparent speed limit of 25 mph in the ICW and what appeared to me to be an almost idle speed only rule outside of the channel.
    It's tough to ride 3 up at 25 mph. And It looked to me like only 50% of those in boats were complying.
    We went by Sandsprit park and actually pulled up there and ate the lunch we brought with us.
    We'll definitely go back but I'll find out about the speed limits before we do.

Thread Information