Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just Purchased my First 2005 GP1300R

Hello, I'm new here and writing to get some pointers. I have purchased my first waverunner a 2005 GP1300R with 70 hours on the body and 50 on the engine, engine was changed by Yamaha at 20 hours under warranty, so right now engine is at 50 hours. I have started it before I bought it and did a compression test which was at (120,120,120)

I have a free flow exhaust installed on it and that's about it. The owner said he got a better throttle response with it.

I have been on a couple gp1200r before a few times so I know what these are capable of.

I have a few questions

- what oil should I be using?
    - what things should I be servicing or even looking at before hitting the water the first time? (it will be in fresh water all the time)?
    - what fuel grade should I be filling it up with?
    - any lubrication needed?
    - how would I check to make sure the batter is reliable enough to take to the water (it starts right now)

any pointers would be appreciated

Thanks and I look forward to learning more on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
    Hello, I'm new here and writing to get some pointers. I have purchased my first waverunner a 2005 GP1300R with 70 hours on the body and 50 on the engine, engine was changed by Yamaha at 20 hours under warranty, so right now engine is at 50 hours. I have started it before I bought it and did a compression test which was at (120,120,120)

I have a free flow exhaust installed on it and that's about it. The owner said he got a better throttle response with it.

I have been on a couple gp1200r before a few times so I know what these are capable of.

I have a few questions

- what oil should I be using?
    - what things should I be servicing or even looking at before hitting the water the first time? (it will be in fresh water all the time)?
    - what fuel grade should I be filling it up with?
    - any lubrication needed?
    - how would I check to make sure the batter is reliable enough to take to the water (it starts right now)

any pointers would be appreciated

Thanks and I look forward to learning more on this forum.

what oil should I be using? - Yamalube
    Last edited by DANSBIRD; 03-30-2015 at 03:54 PM.

3. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    First? Remove the free flow exhaust and put factory back on. It slows it down in every aspect.

Oil for oil injection? Factory yamaha or Klotz Skicraft if you wanna go fancy synthetic. Both cost the same and Klotz smells a lot better.

87 octane gasoline. Anything with more octane will slow you down.

Change the spark plugs often. What it requires is written on the head.

If the battery starts the ski, it's good....for now.

Lubrication? I guess check the steering/trim cables if they are sticky and need some lube.

First mod? Other than putting OEM exhaust back on to get your lost power back, get a cheap/handheld GPS to track your speed (garmin etrex 10?) and a tach (TTO or Tiny Tach) so you know what RPM it's reading.

Go ride, have fun.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post

If you want to use the Yamalube, then the 2W is for PWC... 2M will work, but its designed for outboards

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post

If you want to use the Yamalube, then the 2W is for PWC... 2M will work, but its designed for outboards

Oops... you're correct. I just grabbed a picture. I'll fix my post. Thanks

7. +1 by:

WFO

Quote Originally Posted by riick370 View Post
    First? Remove the free flow exhaust and put factory back on. It slows it down in every aspect.

First mod? Other than putting OEM exhaust back on to get your lost power back, get a cheap/handheld GPS to track your speed (garmin etrex 10?) and a tach (TTO or Tiny Tach) so you know what RPM it's reading.

Go ride, have fun.
    Wow the free flow exhaust messes up the machine that much? I have the old exhaust I just looked at it seems it is three pieces I have no calmps though.

Banned User
    +1
    Home depot has stainless worm drive clamps by the hundreds. The OEM ones get old and break anyways i just replaced all mine.

The free flow exhaust on a stock GP1300r is like putting a fart can on a honda. Sure it sounds fast and loud... but kills the speed.

10. +1 by:

+1
    With the freeflow you will gain a little bottom end performance but lose some top end.

Really the first mods IMO on any GPR is a D plate and aftermarket intake grate

Banned User
    +1
    I have a used Riva intake I can sell ya for like $50 shipped. It's a GP1200 or 1300 can't tell.

+1
    Was 05 the year Yamaha out out a batch of band cranks? That would explain the new motor at 20hrs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information