Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Virage i 800DI Questions.

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up an 02 Virage i 800 with 75 hours on it for $400. I figured it would make a good backup ski. I'm a 4 TEC guy so the FICHT system is a little green to me. The P.O. told me it was really hard to keep running when it was cold, but once warm it was fine. Well I drug it him and put a battery in it. It started and died a bunch of times. I didn't get a chance to check compression. I unplugged the TPS and that had no effect. I also tried bypassing the start stop module and that made no difference. I backed it in the pond below my house and finally got it to run and it ran awful for quite a while. One thing I noticed it it smokes bad and I mean bad until it cleared out and decided to run good. It does have the correct spark plugs in it. After about 20 minutes of idling it took off and seemed to run alright. I'm wondering if it has some crappy gas and oil in it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Banned User
    +1
    I would get some fresh gas in it and go from there. We had another DI ski sink last year and get water in the fuel. Ran fine after getting clean gas in it.

Banned User
    +1
    I would get some fresh gas in it and go from there. We had another DI ski sink last year and get water in the fuel. Ran fine after getting clean gas in it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Certainly if the fuel is bad then that must be corrected.

Also check the fuel pressure. It is very common for the pressure regulator to fall off inside the fuel pump body. In fact, even if the pressure is correct I recommend you pull the fuel pump and reinforce the regulator mounting. It can let go at any time.

At the same time you can inspect the fuel pump and clean the fuel tank inside.

Check the spark plug wires for correct ohms. Sometimes a fresh set of spark plugs will make a big difference.

Check the injector feed voltage on White/red wires, without unplugging either injector. Find another place to tap into White/Red wires. With engine running the voltage should be 45 volts and stable as RPM varies.

See my signature links for details.

+1
    I had the same thing on my 02 virage. It was the emm that needed to be repaired. Go through the checks k447 posted. I'm betting its the injectors or spark.

Well I have had a few days to fool with this thing. Compression tested to 120ish on both cylinders. I have 10.6-11 volts cranking and what seems to be decent spark. It will start right off after you crank it and it dies within a few seconds. Occasionally it will run maybe 10 seconds or so and die. If you give it throttle it sounds as if it is starving for fuel. The plugs are very black but not wet. I don't have the right adapter for my fuel pressure gauge, but when the schrader valve is depressed fuel runs out. it doesn't spray out but there is a constant stream running out while its cranking. I tried crimping the line right in front of the schrader to no avail. I am fearing the EMM may be junk which begs the question is tis thing worth fixing? Ive only got $400 in it so far. Will the carb motor swap in this hull without too much effort? Thanks in advance for your help!.

Banned User
    +1
    Get your fuel pressure issue sorted out before doing anything else. Diagnose and fix on thing at a time and eventually it will run right. My MSX 140 with the dropped fuel pressure regulator ran fine after warming up, it was just a little low on top end RPM. Fixed that issue and it ran better than ever.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    I have a pair of Virage I's that I am currently restoring. I paid $600 for the pair on a double trailer!
    They sat for a few years and the old fuel turned orange, and the fuel pumps were rusted. The fuel pressure regulators were corroded as well and were stuck open. I had the same symptoms, where it would start but die, or any throttle would cause them to die.
    I have around $400 into restoring both of these currently, they are not expensive as long as you are willing to put in the wrench time.

These 800's are a really fun ski, and so long as the ski itself is in great shape, it's worth fixing.

+1
    In a pinch you can use a tire pressure gauge on the schrader fuel pressure test port. But it will leak some gas when you do it so have a rag handy. No way to fasten it and keep it on there... but for a quick pressure check, it works.

Cheers!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I've had an 800 or two in here that were very cold blooded. Didn't justify an emm repair...just a it of a warmup time. I tired spoofing the air temp sensr and all. I assume it was one of those more esoteric problems you could only find by having digital wrench to monitor the sensor outputs according to what the emm thought they were.

nice ski..certainly worth some wrench time for your price of admission.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information