Just Purchased My First Ski 2003 Yamaha GP1300R

Hey guys. I made a post about a month ago but didn't get much feedback. I just purchased my first PWC, a 2003 Yamaha GP1300R. It has Free Flow, D-Plate, Cat Temp chip already. It was converted to premix and I just installed an oil sensor to rig it from beeping everytime you start the thing up (real annoying). Im just seeing if anyone has any pointers as to what I should be performing maintenance on or checking to see if certain things were already completed. Also, does anyone know how I can clear up the plastic on the speedometer?

Oh, also, you think its a good idea to try and clean the power valves out? Doubt its been done in quite some time.

+1
    Congrats on the ski! Well it already has some basics which is good. In terms of maintenance I would pull the pump and make sure the drive shaft splines are greased, while you are at it you can inspect the impeller and wear ring. As for the PV's, how many hours are on it and do you know what oil it was fed? Either way it wouldn't hurt to clean them and install wave eaters if it doesn't already have them. If you will be riding in saltwater I would give it a healthy does of CRC-656 or Fluid Film to prevent rust/corrosion. Make sure you wash it and flush it thoroughly and spray it with CRC/Fluid Film after each ride.

After that I would look in to swapping out the grate and reenforcing the pump tunnel and brackets. Once you are at that point sky is the limits in terms of mods that can be done to the ski if you are starting to get bored. Just make sure you are realistic in what you are looking for and your riding environment. If you ride in any kind of chop I would avoid setting it up for top end, the ride will be rough. I set my ski up more for chop as it is rarely flat where I ride and I'm in the ocean regularly.

Edit: Also if it isn't already, make sure the pump shoe is sealed properly. Get a pump plug kit and seal it with 4200/5200. I would do this when you get to the grate/pump reenforcement/brackets.

+1
    On the 2003 make sure the pump shoe is sealed and the later style shoe brackets installed. This was the year that they pulled through the hull. Clear the cluster by wet sanding and polish. 1500 grit then 2500 and finally plastic polish. They sell it in auto parts stores. Good luck with your new ski!

Thanks man! Really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    Congrats on the ski! Well it already has some basics which is good. In terms of maintenance I would pull the pump and make sure the drive shaft splines are greased, while you are at it you can inspect the impeller and wear ring. As for the PV's, how many hours are on it and do you know what oil it was fed? Either way it wouldn't hurt to clean them and install wave eaters if it doesn't already have them. If you will be riding in saltwater I would give it a healthy does of CRC-656 or Fluid Film to prevent rust/corrosion. Make sure you wash it and flush it thoroughly and spray it with CRC/Fluid Film after each ride.

After that I would look in to swapping out the grate and reenforcing the pump tunnel and brackets. Once you are at that point sky is the limits in terms of mods that can be done to the ski if you are starting to get bored. Just make sure you are realistic in what you are looking for and your riding environment. If you ride in any kind of chop I would avoid setting it up for top end, the ride will be rough. I set my ski up more for chop as it is rarely flat where I ride and I'm in the ocean regularly.

Edit: Also if it isn't already, make sure the pump shoe is sealed properly. Get a pump plug kit and seal it with 4200/5200. I would do this when you get to the grate/pump reenforcement/brackets.
    Thanks a lot! Appreciate the knowledge! The ski has about 160hrs on it. Previous owner said its always been on Yamalube. I ride mostly lakes but summertime we usually hit the bay and sandbars.

Thread Information