Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: TURBO FZR Build

+1

TURBO FZR Build

This is a progress thread on my FZR Turbo conversion, After having issues with multiple clutches and blower wheels touching down and constantly being destroyed i decided my money was better spent elsewhere so am going the turbo path.

I have a freshly built motor with
    CP Pistons
    K1 Rods
    Upgraded Valves springs and retainers to allow the RPM to be raised
    Plus all the run of the mill bolt ons 1000cc injectors, cam gears, IC & Tial Valve
    Upgraded cooling system

Still running a 155mm pump will see how it runs with a HONDA Prop i purchased from Ben's performance designed to run on a turbo yamaha. Im aiming for 90mph or anything over

I would like to thank ksalles Keith & Jesse for a few pointers and the inspiration to do this build, these blokes demonstrate that anything is possible for the average do it yourselfer. Their Turbo GPR SHO is truly a work of art to say the least!!!

After looking at different kits on the market i decided to make a simple system similar to the riva kit that is not available. Ive also used the headed pipe collector design from keith's build as it seems to do a great job and is way cheaper than the Riva collector

So far i after looking at the area i wanted to mount the turbo i thought the ECU/Electrical box was a little close for comfort next a blazing hot turbo.

what I've done was removed the factory electrical box and cut the fuse panel backing off then mounted it to the far right of the firewall using alloy 'nutserts' the ECU Has also been mounted on the back side of the firewall keeping all the electrics to one side, the roll over switch has been mounted on the firewall next to the electrical box and the voltage rectifier has been mounted on the bottom of the hull with new water lines

The exhaust flange gasket was copied into a CAD Program and Cut from 10mm stainless steel stock with a Water jet cutter
    also having a T3 Flange cut at the moment

Ive purchased all the stainless piping in which will do the from collector to turbo and exhaust side all which will be water jacketed with stainless JIC weld on fittings

I Had my old engine cases sitting under my work bench and a friend had a SHO Head that cracked a water gallery so between us we have a full dummy motor which I've made up a stand to make easier work while we fabricate the turbo setup and will only need the ski to trial fit once things have been tacked in place

Ive started making up the collector section just with some 1.5" tube cut down the mid section and a v section out of 1.6mm
    this will have a water jacket section around with water feed line at the top section coming from the exhaust header

Also knocked up a supercharger blanking plate which has a fitting for a return line from my catch can.

I Will keep this thread updated as work progresses, it may not happen over night but we'll get there

Cheers
    Last edited by SLAP~YA; 04-11-2015 at 03:22 AM.

+1
    NICE!
    Signing up to this thread!
    I would either get pissed off and sell everything or do this at some point!

+1
    Tonight was time to tack all the pipes up into place on the dummy block and trial fit to the ski

First was tacking the collector together then just a matter of having the turbo held in position while the mandrel bent pipes were located in the right positions and tacked up.

Heres a couple of snaps.

After a bit of discussion with my mate we have decided to ceramic coat and heat wrap the turbo header pipe as turbo's need heat to spool efficiently and by cooling the exhaust gasses theres a potential power loss, the exhaust out from the turbo will still be jacketed to help reduce some heat.

we agree'd that if things get too hot in there with the main header not water jacketed we can still pull the manifold and just weld the piping around. But we'll see how it goes for now with the HPC Coat and wrap.

Next up will weld the system together and fabricate some brackets from the turbo header that mount securely to the block.

+1
    Very nice welcome to the turbo sho side .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaswester View Post
    Very nice welcome to the turbo sho side .
    Thanks mate,its been alot of umm'ing and ahh'ing
    Should have done this a long time ago.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Collector, header pipe and Turbo flange all welded together.

Next up will be the fabrication of the exhaust pipe section

8. +1 by:

+1
    You going to water jacket this part?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leendert View Post
    You going to water jacket this part?
    To start with the whole kit was going to be water jacketed but the other night after some thought,We decided not to jacket this pipe for now but instead have it ceramic coated and thermal wrap it to retain the heat for better spool up. I have seen a coupe of other ski's including Yamaha that have just thermal wraped and been sweet.

We'll see how the temps are when its being tested and decide then if we really need to pull it off and jacket it. I'm sure the coating and wrap will be fine. The turbo is also water cooled and will have it coated and use a turbo jacket. The rear tail pipe will be water jacketed.

+1
    Just go ahead and water jacket it now, no matter how much wrap or coating your dealing with a small engine area that will get very hot, save yourself the time and headache and do it now. ditch the turbo blanket it will just cause the turbo housing to hold water and rust/corrode the turbo housing 3 times faster. Ive already seen first hand what a turbo blanket does to these turbos and its not pretty. looking good so far man.

+1
    Looks sweet

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information