Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Purchasing a 2005 RXT...need help

I was hoping someone with some experience could give me their opinion on a decision I'm making. I have been looking to buy a newer, faster ski (currently have a 2001 GTI) and have been looking at the RXT and RXP. Because money is a factor, I've been looking at older models. Since I heard the RXT is more stable in choppy water and more friendly for tubes, etc. I decided to go with that. Long story short, I found a green/black 2005 RXT at my local dealer that has 7 hours on it (there's a rich retirement community nearby from which it came). After talking to the manager who didn't acknowledge the ceramic washer problem, I asked if they would replace the washers but he said they could only replace the whole supercharger (to one with metal washers). Hence, I bargained down to $4k for the ski and $800 for the new supercharger replacement (including labor...they said replacing the supercharger is just as expensive as rebuilding it). So the total will be $4800 for the ski and SC replacement, $350 for a used trailer and about $500 for sales tax and registration etc.

What should I do? Will I run into problems with this ski? He said its running at full RPMs at the moment but he cannot give me a guarantee with a used ski, even though it has 7 hours. I know this was a rough year for the RXT/RXP so should I stay away or is it a fair deal? Any input appreciated. (also is the green/black 2005 the same as the red/silver 2005?)

Also, another dealer told me to stay away from seadoo altogether and go with the newer Yamahas. I just don't think I have the money...$5500 is the absolute most I can spend. There's also a 2005 RXT on craigslist that I was looking at with a replaced SC for $4k but it has about 180 hrs.

Thanks

+1
    800 for the s/c rebuild is steep. Pull it yourself and send it to jerry at the green hulk store and it will be around 400 total. The early models had problems with the valves as well, so be careful as they will need to be replaced too. Other than that, I would want to look at the cylinders and do a compression check. If it wasn't stored properly, that is a long time to sit.

+1
    Your "dealer" sounds terrible. You need to have the supercharger rebuilt ASAP. As mentioned above, pull it yourself and send it to Jerry. As also mentioned above, those models had pretty bad valve issues. Do your research here before you pull the trigger. $4,350 for the ski with a trailer isn't bad but you need to fix the two issues we pointed out. Figure out how much that will cost you and add it to the total price.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Here's my 2 cents from an 05 RXT owner with 240 hours. First, I would follow the previous advice to send the supercharger to Jerry, cheaper and it will be done right. Second, the valves are a known issue, I replaced mine at around 150 hours and 7 years of mostly salt water and they had quite a bit of rust on the stem, which from what I understand where the failures are.

+1
    where are you located? Find a forum buddy!

+1
    Imp0ster is right. Find someone close, buy it as cheap as possible and do it right. You'll save the money and do it once

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1 View Post
    800 for the s/c rebuild is steep. Pull it yourself and send it to jerry at the green hulk store and it will be around 400 total. The early models had problems with the valves as well, so be careful as they will need to be replaced too. Other than that, I would want to look at the cylinders and do a compression check. If it wasn't stored properly, that is a long time to sit.
    Thanks for all the input guys. The guy is a sales rep so I'm not sure if he really knows what the problems were with the 05 rxts. However, the mechanic from that marine (I've been taking my GTI for service here for years) knew what I was talking about. However, the sales rep said that they would "replace" the supercharger rather than rebuild it...he said it costs about the same. I am not very mechanically inclined so I don't know how much better this is. It's obvious this ski was not used much (probably once or twice). They said they'd do a compression test and rpm test before purchase.

I'm still not sure about the valves...should I be worried about this with such low hours? Is it expensive to replace/ how do I go about doing that, etc?

Also, I read that the flywheel bolts were bad in this year...again, I'm not sure what that means. Any insight would help.

Thank you all so much. And I live in upstate SC

+1
    Yeah that dealer sounds like a complete tool. Everyone who sales a SeaDoo knows about the SC washer deal. Also if you get one just keep some money aside because crap happens and things do break lol. Super Chargers are gonna need done every couple yrs or 100 hrs, nice thing is they are super easy to remove.
    The RXT is gonna be more stable just because its a 3 seat and longer. RXP would be more fun Im sure but for people like me I prefer the 3 seat .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eb87 View Post
    Here's my 2 cents from an 05 RXT owner with 240 hours. First, I would follow the previous advice to send the supercharger to Jerry, cheaper and it will be done right. Second, the valves are a known issue, I replaced mine at around 150 hours and 7 years of mostly salt water and they had quite a bit of rust on the stem, which from what I understand where the failures are.
    Good to hear that you fixed it in time. A buddy of mine wasn't so lucky and his went boom about 5 hours after he bought it (used, two years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    where are you located? Find a forum buddy!
    Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by southernusta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1 View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. The guy is a sales rep so I'm not sure if he really knows what the problems were with the 05 rxts. However, the mechanic from that marine (I've been taking my GTI for service here for years) knew what I was talking about. However, the sales rep said that they would "replace" the supercharger rather than rebuild it...he said it costs about the same. I am not very mechanically inclined so I don't know how much better this is. It's obvious this ski was not used much (probably once or twice). They said they'd do a compression test and rpm test before purchase.

I'm still not sure about the valves...should I be worried about this with such low hours? Is it expensive to replace/ how do I go about doing that, etc?

Also, I read that the flywheel bolts were bad in this year...again, I'm not sure what that means. Any insight would help.

Thank you all so much. And I live in upstate SC
    Sales rep or not, he should still be educated on the subject as this is basic Sea Doo knowledge. I cannot imagine that replacing a supercharger is the same or cheaper than rebuilding it, otherwise everyone here would be going that route. You should be worried about the valves. I wouldn't ride the ski without addressing these two issues.

+1
    You will also have to add how much it would cost to buy

1) New valves
    2) Proper valve job (Send to Slow91)
    3) Tools/Parts to reinstall the head.

It's going to run you about 1k to perform the steps above so also add that to your budget.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information