2011 Yamaha VXR oil in hull

Hi guys,

New to this fourm but have been following it quite a while for some time now. I have recently just sold my 2007 FXHO and have purchased a 2011 Yamaha VXR done 27 hours.

I had a pre purchase inspection done and everything checked out to be fine. i got the ski home and checked in the hull and there seemed to be oil mixed in with water and the back of the hull. i dipped my fingers in the water it felt greasy and running my finger tips on the hull left me with a light borwn/yellow sort of a grease/oil. i called the dealer who did the pre purchase inspection and he said it would have been spillage from the last oil change. i cleaned it all out, ran it on the hose for 15 mins and kept an eye on it and could not see any oil what so ever running down from the engine. i have since taken it our for a ride and came home and this greasy water comes back. same thing seems to be a light brown/yellowy oil when i dip my fingers in this puddle at the back of the hull. also when i tip my ski up to drain it all. you can see the colours of oil mixed with water as it is draining out.. i have checked my dipstick after riding the ski for about 2 hours and it has not moved so i am hoping it is just spillage but not sure why it keeps coming back after i sponge all the water/oil out before hand..any help would be greatly appreciated!

+1
    Double Post
    Last edited by infamous; 04-01-2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Double Post

+1
    Keep an eye on your oil levels but its most likely from when they changed the oil after break in. If you're not careful and don't put an absorbent pad under the oil filter it can make a mess. Maybe wash it down with a mild degreaser like dawn soap and see if that cleans it up.

Quote Originally Posted by infamous View Post
    Keep an eye on your oil levels but its most likely from when they changed the oil after break in. If you're not careful and don't put an absorbent pad under the oil filter it can make a mess. Maybe wash it down with a mild degreaser like dawn soap and see if that cleans it up.
    Hi there. thanks for the information. i am taking it away this weekend so will keep checking the dipstick before and after every ride. i tried to wipe it up as much as i could before my ride last night. but obiosuly could only access the back of the hull because of the engine. like i said i could not see anything leaking after running on the hose for 15 mins but after my ride last night the water that it took on during my ride was deffinetly greasy as though it had oil mixed in with it

+1
    Best way to wash the hull is maybe a gallon of fresh water mixed with Dawn and pour it in hull. Drive around with trailer to slosh the water around in the hull. Then wet-dry vacuum out the water. I vacuum both sides of the pump tunnel in the back and from the starboard side I can get the vacuum hose just in front of the gas tank to get most of the water out. I have seen oil rainbow in the water when cleaning my hull too. It's most prominent after an oil change.

Best way to wash the hull is maybe a gallon of fresh water mixed with Dawn and pour it in hull. Drive around with trailer to slosh the water around in the hull. Then wet-dry vacuum out the water. I vacuum both sides of the pump tunnel in the back and from the starboard side I can get the vacuum hose just in front of the gas tank to get most of the water out. I have seen oil rainbow in the water when cleaning my hull too. It's most prominent after an oil change.
    I will give this a try after the Easter weekend and see if it helps. thanks for all of the information. apart from that i am super happy with the ski. i cant get over how fast it is!! ALOT quicker then my 07 HO.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhillis1992 View Post
    I will give this a try after the Easter weekend and see if it helps. thanks for all of the information. apart from that i am super happy with the ski. i cant get over how fast it is!! ALOT quicker then my 07 HO.
    Do you have one of those mirror things to just inspect under the engine? Just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhillis1992 View Post
    Do you have one of those mirror things to just inspect under the engine? Just in case.

Unfortunately i dont :-/ I am taking it away this weekend with me and will check the oil level before and after I ride. If I see it dropping then I will start to worry!

+1
    Good luck inspecting under the engine of any PWC with a mirror. Well, a decent inspection anyway. LOL!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Good luck inspecting under the engine of any PWC with a mirror. Well, a decent inspection anyway. LOL!
    I know not a great inspection but at least a decent one lol. Bright lights are needed as well.

Thread Information