07 gp1300r broken engine mount

Hey all,
    while riding today, heard a bang type noise then jet all of a sudden made weird noise like there was something in the intake grate, shut the ski down and got towed back to the ramp, pulled it out of the water and checked intake grate, nothing in there, popped the seat and noticed the engine mount was busted, fired it up on the trailer and ran fine.

Would a busted mount cause this? Seems like the motor is slightly out of alignment to the shaft under load in the water!

+1
    Most likely yes, your coupler or splines are grinding together. New mounts are about 50 bucks new. You will need to remove the j pipe and you can get to all of them from there as long as you have a long socket extension and some swivels. I had to replace 2 when I snapped motor mount bolts trying to remove them. I had to realign my motor after I rebuilt my pump and mid shaft assembly. There is a write up from WFO in the how to section to realign your motor.

Essentially you will remove all the top motor mount bolts to the engine and put loc tight on them and put them back in but keep them loose so the motor can move. Then with the spark plugs out of the motor you will bump the starter and the motor will fall into place. Then double check the coupler measurements. If I remember correctly it was between 2-4mm on bottom and 2mm on the top. They should be even on each side. I had to make no adjustments after bumping the starter a few times and torqued all the bolts to spec. The reason the gap on the bottom is bigger is so when the hull flexes when you hit waves it has room to flex at the coupler otherwise it will get chewed up.

Let me know if you need a services manual. Just shoot me a pm.
    Last edited by Almost; 04-02-2015 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    Most likely yes, your coupler or splines are grinding together. New mounts are about 50 bucks new. You will need to remove the j pipe and you can get to all of them from there as long as you have a long socket extension and some swivels. I had to replace 2 when I snapped motor mount bolts trying to remove them. I had to realign my motor after I rebuilt my pump and mid shaft assembly. There is a write up from WFO in the how to section to realign your motor.

Essentially you will remove all the top motor mount bolts to the engine and put loc tight on them and put them back in but keep them loose so the motor can move. Then with the spark plugs out of the motor you will bump the starter and the motor will fall into place. Then double check the coupler measurements. If I remember correctly it was between 2-4mm on bottom and 2mm on the top. They should be even on each side. I had to make no adjustments after bumping the starter a few times and torqued all the bolts to spec. The reason the gap on the bottom is bigger is so when the hull flexes when you hit waves it has room to flex at the coupler otherwise it will get chewed up.

Let me know if you need a services manual. Just shoot me a pm.
    very good info thats what i was looking for thanks

FINALLY got my ski into be fixed, turned out far worse than I thought, both shafts, coupler, bearing housing and 3 of 4 mounts.

o rings were non existent on the shaft, splines were so stuffed they had to grind flat spots to grip it to get impellor off and coupler had corroded through.
    I've only had the ski 8 months, so by looks of it original owner didn't maintain it aswell as he said he did!

$2300 bucks later!

+1
    ouch did you take it to the stealership? or buy all new oem parts?

Yeah ended up just taking it to ski mechanic, was a bit over my head!

+1
    Ouch!!! The search button will save you a lot of cash & the classifieds too.
    2300 is way too much
    Last edited by 07vette; 11-04-2015 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Add

I'd rather pay someone who knows what they're doing, then I know it's done properly!
    I have zero clue when it comes to pwc's!

Thread Information