+1

A couple of questions; speedo pick-up and exhaust.

Still waiting for my black trim to be delivered, so my project for the day was lifting my FZS off the trailer so I could re-do the trailer bunks. Pretty easy with a car lift.

I decided to install my R&D grate and my Jim's modded 15 plate while it was off the trailer.
    I didn't realize how much longer the 15 plate was until I put them side by side.

I installed the Candoo GPS speedo module, so I don't need the paddle wheel. Can I unscrew the white fitting (Red Circle) and remove the paddle wheel unit? I don't want to break some seal and have a hull leak.

If not I can just zip tie it out of the way. I made a fill piece to replace it. I know it's not necessary and I won't gain anything, but it will make it faster to remove the plate on the future when I start re-pitching my prop.

Second question is about the exhaust flappers. I did the exhaust mod on the inside of the ski and I think the exhaust mod thread said to cut the flapper on the exit, but I read somewhere it's not necessary. I know the flaps open up with exhaust flow, but cutting the flaps off would make the opening bigger compaired to the flaps just opening. (I'm talking about cutting the flaps off, not removing the whole rubber piece)

Also what are the other rubber pieces (Yellow Circle) for? Noise? I know when your on a plane the exhaust can flow out a lot of places, but the rubber pieces do seal off the area pretty well. Should I remove them?

Last edited by Baja FZS; 04-02-2015 at 06:57 PM.

remover the rubber skirts but leave the metal mounts to support the pump. You can cut the flaps on the exhaust we all did. The white sensor I cut mine, if you unscrew it water will come in the hull.

+1
    What is the benefit of cutting the flaps off the exhaust? Will I notice a difference on my 2015 FZS?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiiz View Post
    What is the benefit of cutting the flaps off the exhaust? Will I notice a difference on my 2015 FZS?
    Which flaps? The larger ones in the yellow circle are just sound suppression, and the general consensus is to rip them off--- it also lets you wash down the pump more effectively after riding in salt.

The little flaps that come out at the exhaust helps seal out water from entering the hull and ensures that exhaust gas exits the ski properly. I wouldnt touch them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja FZS View Post
    Second question is about the exhaust flappers. I did the exhaust mod on the inside of the ski and I think the exhaust mod thread said to cut the flapper on the exit, but I read somewhere it's not necessary. I know the flaps open up with exhaust flow, but cutting the flaps off would make the opening bigger compaired to the flaps just opening. (I'm talking about cutting the flaps off, not removing the whole rubber piece)

Yes, you cut all of those "fingers" off so the rubber is flush with the opening.

Oh and if you want to make another of those speedo delete inserts and send it to me, let me know...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by @JC View Post
    Yes, you cut all of those "fingers" off so the rubber is flush with the opening.
    Yes you can cut the "fingers" but just to be clear, you want to keep the rest of that rubber piece intact because it acts as a seal.

+1
    Cutting those fingers off is part of the Tommy Jordan exhaust mod. Do a search.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SVHOKidd View Post
    Cutting those fingers off is part of the Tommy Jordan exhaust mod. Do a search.
    I know the TJ mod says cut them off, I did search and read the whole thread. That search also turned up opinions that that part of the mod didn't really help much, that's why I was asking for clairification. Thanks

Thread Information