Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2003 Yamaha GP1300r Questions

Found a Yamaha Gp1300r(85 hours) and looking to buy it for around $3000 with a trailer included. Since this is my first PWC that I'm looking to buy just had a couple questions I was hoping you guys could answer The dude says the compression is 125+ in all the cylinders but he said his dash went out and had to replace and his hours reset. Is this a red flag? Or is it common for the hours to get reset when putting in the dash?From researching online I'm seeing that people are saying that the catalytic converter tends to go bad after 10 years(100 hours)? Is this something I should look to replace when I get the Jetski? I have also noticed that a lot of people say the conversion to premix is a must? Just wondering if this is a must need or will keeping the Oil Pump be ok? What kind of maintence do these 2 stroke motors need every year?($$?) Thanks again in advance for answering questions Just a newbie and wanna cover my ass and know what I'm getting into

Banned User
    +1
    125psi compression is good, but can you verify what each cylinder is exactly?

When you replace the dash you can't transfer the hour readings. The replacement dash will read whatever the previous ski had. Common problem? No, but if left in the sun they the plastic fades and you can't read it anymore. You can buff it out but most people don't know that and replace it with a clean one.

The first modification to do to any GPR ski is the "D Plate" which removes the catalytic converter. There's no need to have it in there.

DO NOT CONVERT TO PREMIX!!!!!!!!!!

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by riick370 View Post
    125psi compression is good, but can you verify what each cylinder is exactly?

When you replace the dash you can't transfer the hour readings. The replacement dash will read whatever the previous ski had. Common problem? No, but if left in the sun they the plastic fades and you can't read it anymore. You can buff it out but most people don't know that and replace it with a clean one.

The first modification to do to any GPR ski is the "D Plate" which removes the catalytic converter. There's no need to have it in there.

DO NOT CONVERT TO PREMIX!!!!!!!!!!
    First off thank you for answering He told me 125 in each cylinder and I will verify those readings before buying it. So their is no true way way of finding out the TRUE hours of the ski? Is the D plate something simple to do or is it gonna require some knowledge about jet-skis?

Banned User
    +1
    Unless he has the old cluster and you can hook it up and see what it reads, nope.

What does the replacement cluster read for hours?

6. +1 by:

Unless he has the old cluster and you can hook it up and see what it reads, nope.

What does the replacement cluster read for hours?
    12 Hours and he told me the old read 80.

Banned User
    +1
    He purchased a brand new cluster? Wow. That's commendable. If he treated the rest of the ski that way I'd say it's probably a good ski to buy.

He purchased a brand new cluster? Wow. That's commendable. If he treated the rest of the ski that way I'd say it's probably a good ski to buy.
    Yea well he said he is the second owner of the jetski so I dont know if hes really owned this ski too long.

+1
    The 2003 GP1300R had a recall because the pump shoe would pull down out of the hull. Mine pulled down at about 7hrs of use. Make sure the recall has been performed and AT MINIMUM the updated reinforcement brackets installed. Some of the 03 skis were not repaired correctly before the recall was issued. Find out if it was done, then look at the pump shoe from underneath and make sure it's recessed AT LEAST 1.7mm from flush with the hull. Any less and it was not done properly and is hanging down. Without shoe modification its usually recessed about 1.8mm on average. A hanging shoe creates a big top speed loss and can cause a problem called "the buck" (pump overstuffing) at speed. Do a search on these terms to fully understand. If you're from the Ukraine, the ski may have come stock without a catalytic converter and the D-plate already installed. It's required from the factory here due to emission laws. Good luck with the ski!

Banned User
    +1
    Replacing the pump shoe mounts is a very easy process and they cost $10 each. Slap it down with 5200 and let it dry for a couple days under slight bolt pressure.

Part# F1G-U8571-02-00 x2
    Get some new bolts while you're at it. Part #90119-08829-00 x4

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    The 2003 GP1300R had a recall because the pump shoe would pull down out of the hull. Mine pulled down at about 7hrs of use. Make sure the recall has been performed and AT MINIMUM the updated reinforcement brackets installed. Some of the 03 skis were not repaired correctly before the recall was issued. Find out if it was done, then look at the pump shoe from underneath and make sure it's recessed AT LEAST 1.7mm from flush with the hull. Any less and it was not done properly and is hanging down. Without shoe modification its usually recessed about 1.8mm on average. A hanging shoe creates a big top speed loss and can cause a problem called "the buck" (pump overstuffing) at speed. Do a search on these terms to fully understand. If you're from the Ukraine, the ski may have come stock without a catalytic converter and the D-plate already installed. It's required from the factory here due to emission laws. Good luck with the ski!
    Awesome.. Thanks for the info! By any chance would that recall still be qualified for today? If i walked into the Yamaha dealership they would have to fix it? I mean I have no problem fixing it if it sounds like a easy and cheap fix. Regarding the D-plate this Ski is actually from Illinois and I live here in the states. Will the D-Plate be a easy fix or would i probably need to take that to the dealer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information