Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2014 FZS (New) - Concern About AFR & Detonation / Back Pressure & Other Questions?

All,

I have a new 2014 FZS (SVHO) with the following mods to be incorporated over the next few weeks (parts ordered):

1. R&D R2 - ECU Reflash
    2. R&D Pro Series Racing Intercooler
    3. Turbosmart BOV
    4. R&D High Performance Cooling Kit
    5. R&D Intake Grate
    6. R&D Pump Seal Kit
    7. Riva Power Filter Kit
    8. Riva Engine Breather Upgrade Kit
    9. Riva Intake Manifold Upgrade Kit (Ribbon Delete)
    10.Jim's Performance Ride Plate Mod
    11.Jim's Performance Solas Concord 13/18 (TBD exact repitch)
    12.Remove stock foam around mirrors

I am wanting a primarily recreational ski that I can tow inflatables, wake board, run wide open down the lake for a few miles at a time, and being able to hit the buoys from time to time. The ski will be run in fresh water at about 800 feet in elevation outside of Atlanta.

I few questions:

A. Do I need to worry about my AFR's and should I install a AFR gauge and a RRFPR?
    B. Do I need to install a free flow exhaust - as I would prefer to remain stock to minimize the noise but I will install a free flow if there is any issue regarding detonation or back pressure.
    C. Is a retainer / spring upgrade necessary?
    D. What sort of RPM's / speed should I be aiming for?
    E. Recommended final pitch for the Solas prop

Many thanks for all of the assistance.

Do the tommy Jordan exhaust and your good.. No need to worry about afr

Retainers aren't necessary and neither is the rrfpr

+1
    With an R2 and stock wheel, your AFRs will be fine.

All,

Thanks for the input.

What do you think my AFR's will be at full throttle after a 2-3 mile run: 12 or 13?

On the TJ exhaust mod, could removing the small sound suppression box and capping the line and cutting the 3.5" on the hose that leads into the large sound suppression box change the flow / harmonics in such a way to be detrimental?

Is it ok to just do the internal mods to the sound suppression and not cut the flaps and remove the seal in the pump area?

What is the boost on the stock wheel with the R2 at 8500?

Again, thanks for all of the valuable thoughts.

6. +1 by:

+1
    On the exhaust mod nothing would be detrimental other than the possibility of louder exhaust and more drone.
    anything after the water box really can not hurt the ski (Minus doing something that caused a water leak into the hull)

I did the mod on my 14 FZR but did not bother with the flaps.

+1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by steveskis View Post
    All,

Thanks for the input.

What do you think my AFR's will be at full throttle after a 2-3 mile run: 12 or 13?

On the TJ exhaust mod, could removing the small sound suppression box and capping the line and cutting the 3.5" on the hose that leads into the large sound suppression box change the flow / harmonics in such a way to be detrimental?

Is it ok to just do the internal mods to the sound suppression and not cut the flaps and remove the seal in the pump area?

What is the boost on the stock wheel with the R2 at 8500?

Again, thanks for all of the valuable thoughts.
    I have ran my exhaust mod with the flaps on and not removing the seal curtin in the pump area and it still works ok but for best results cut the flap ears off and remove the pump curtin also. The noise level is not much differant and since the engine cooling water exit hole is behind the curtin this also allowes this water to flow freely from around the pump aera freeing up the exhaust flow also. With the pump curtin removed you can also take a water hose to wash the pump aera out with fresh water when cleaning up your ski after a ride. No one has ever reported any negative information about this modification in over 5 years of use on these skis. Tommy Jordan

Thanks for all of the input.

i think I will start with the TJ internal exhaust mods in eliminating the small sound suppression box, capping the hose and then cutting the 3.5" of house leading into the larger sound suppression box. I will assess the sound thereafter before making some of the other suggested exhaust related modifications to the pump area.

Any thoughts around what the boost level is at 8500 rpm on an R2 reflash with the stock SC wheel?

+1
    boost should be around 13-14 psi @8500

Everyone. Thanks for all the help. I am knew to this forum but have found it to be a wealth of information.

Looking forward to getting it all put together over the next month or so and seeing if I can hit the 80 - 82 mph range with recreational reliability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information