Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Just bought a 2000 GP1200R

Hey guys,

After many months of searching, I finally found a GPR in my price range that was in decent shape. This is a big upgrade from the 1995 Seadoo SPX that I have currently. It runs and has 89 hours on it. Cosmetically it is not the greatest but it would all get covered when I eventually paint it. It will be a challenge because I do not know the Yamaha motor, I really only know the Seadoo, but I am excited to work on it and tune the hull.

To my knowledge, it is all stock. I did find that it did have a chip for the exhaust temperature sensor. I was confused not knowing anything about the Yamaha motor. I am not sure if it has a D-plate. I looked at the bottom of the hull as well and saw that it definitely has a stock intake grate.

I'm still in college and I have my classes until May but I wanted to ask the forum of things I should check to make sure it is pretty sound. I'm not worried about mods initially besides maybe an intake grate and a d-plate. But yeah I just want to figure out major things to look at or if there are other tips and tricks I should know.

Thanks!

+1
    The best advice I can give you is to familiarize yourself with the "sticky" portions of the Yamaha 2 stroke performance and yamaha FAQ sections of this forum. Everything has been pretty much covered and there is enough blatant info to take a good running 1200 well into the 70's. More if you have coin to spend and follow suggestions. Search for terms like "wave eater clips" "oil lines" "powervalve" "pump shoe measurement" "ride plate height" "800 or 1200 intake grate" "high output pump" "flapper valve removal" "osidebill jetting specs" "pump reinforcement" "advent ignition" "vforce reeds" "compression test" and....well you get the idea. Welcome to the Dark Side!

3. +1 by:

I just realized I never put up pictures. (Sorry if they are fuzzy. My phone's camera is crap)

Yeah, I have been reading up on a lot of the sticky posts on the 2 stroke performance section. I'm going to be doing a lot of research and reading in my free time at school. I will have a good month to figure out a lot of things and take some notes.

Thanks! I have been trying to get into a faster ski for a while now and get rid of my Spx. I loved my Spx, it was a fun ski to mess around on and learn but I have out grown it physically. I just can't wait until summer when I have the time to work on the Yamaha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0353.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	355232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0357.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	355233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0371.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	355234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0373.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	355235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0374.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	355236  

+1
    Motor looks clean, Starting though make sure you check to see if you have a Dplate! Easy mods that are cost effective and for the longevity of the ski. Ditch the stock air box and get some flame arrestors, you will have to rejet the Carbs when you do this but it will give you a better outlook on your carbs and how they work, plus they will be all clean. Go premix and run your oil/gas mixture at 40/1, The block off kit on ebay is around 15 bucks and easy to get to if you have long arms, if not its a challenge but doable and so worth it. You mentioned about the chip meaning you will probably pull apart the exhaust "U" and the main pipe and find you have a Dplate which is good. Just some small things to think about, but if you don't want to go pre mix, theres a guy on ebay that sells an exact oil line kit on ebay that's great, I used it until I decided to go the premix route.

Ride on!
    Arlen

+1
    Install Waveeater clips asap.

7. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Install Waveeater clips asap.
    I'm pretty sure what was installed is a chip. I posted a picture of it. It came with it installed.

+1
    Clips, Not chips. Waveeater clips are for the power valves, not the exhaust temp.

Banned User
    +1
    Get the wave eaters. I would hate to see a motor get killed over something so simple.

Ohhh ok haha. Got it.

don't forget about the carbs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information