Thread: Gpr1200 crank

Gpr1200 crank

Ended up buying a 2001 model which turned out to have a bad cylinder. Lack of oil my guess but it still had good compression. The piston was scarred pretty bad though. I tore it down and honestly looking to save as much as I can. So all cylinders look good and two of the three Pistons. So ordered a new piston, new piston rings on all but idk what to do about the crank. All bearings are good and no play up or down in the rods. Could I put new seals on and get away with it? I'm more old school about engine where you can get away with more and I always read people preaching about rebuilding cranks just to be safe. But 400 bucks is a little steep

+1
    Yeah it's $400 but if something does go wrong it will be well over $400 I can tell you that on top of the money you just spent. I'm pretty sure you can send it to crank works and have them inspect it at the very least to be safe, I'm not sure what they charge for that though. I'm sure some metal made it down there if you are saying you have piston damage.

Yea after cleaning the bearings in a solvent and letting it dry then spinning the bearings they are noisy and the front loose bearing is no smooth. I even lubed back up with 2 stroke oil and it made no difference.

+1
    Send it to crank works. Make sure you get it trued and welded and get and upgraded mag bearing. It will take anything you through at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    Send it to crank works. Make sure you get it trued and welded and get and upgraded mag bearing. It will take anything you through at it.
    When I was quoted by crankworks back in 9/2014 for a rebuild of my OEM crank (66V) that sounds like it has similar woes to johnson7454's crank, I was quoted somewhere around $1197 for a rebuild using OEM bearings + webs, upgraded mag bearing and T&W. This is more than buying a new OEM crank and having it T&W from what their email said.

Crankworks also said they could use hotrods kits (assuming they're referring to the webs) and koyo bearings (OEM I think, my mag bearing brand is koyo) for $845, which also includes their upgraded mag bearing.

Or they said they'd sell me a new hot rods crank for $800. No information was given as to what that included. $800 may not include T&W or the HD mag bearing.

I couldn't believe the difference between my crap crank and the new OEM crank in the side to side play and the smoothness of the new bearings. My old mag bearing has rusty spots on the "rollers" or whatever they're called. Every old bearing spun very, very freely and made an awful "not smooth" noise.

+1
    If that's the case I would just get a new one. I snagged a brand new OEM on here t&w with and upgraded mag bearing for $850. The previous owner sent it to crank works planning to build a triple pipe. My mag bearing is German, not sure of the brand but I don't think it is koyo but I could be wrong. I sold my old crank to O'side Bill a couple months before he passed, he told me he was building a ski for his kid. He had me send it to crank works for a rebuild, I'm not sure if he was getting any extras but from my understanding it was around $400-$450 a rebuild. I'm shocked to find out with extras you were quoted almost $1200. What are OEMs going for now? When I was rebuilding a new a OEM crank was around $750. This was almost 3 years ago now.

+1
    I had my Crank done by Crankworks last year- Cost $850 shipped, Trued-Welded, Hot rods, and the best bearings they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    If that's the case I would just get a new one. I snagged a brand new OEM on here t&w with and upgraded mag bearing for $850. The previous owner sent it to crank works planning to build a triple pipe. My mag bearing is German, not sure of the brand but I don't think it is koyo but I could be wrong. I sold my old crank to O'side Bill a couple months before he passed, he told me he was building a ski for his kid. He had me send it to crank works for a rebuild, I'm not sure if he was getting any extras but from my understanding it was around $400-$450 a rebuild. I'm shocked to find out with extras you were quoted almost $1200. What are OEMs going for now? When I was rebuilding a new a OEM crank was around $750. This was almost 3 years ago now.
    I bought my OEM crank from yamahasportsplaza.com for just under $1000 on 12/2014. It was the best price I could find and I did ask some people on here if they had OEM cranks they'd part with and no go there. I can't believe how expensive they are compared to what the used to be when Oside was still around.

The rebuild probably wouldn't cost so much if there was anything salvageable on my old crank. Since all the bearings were noisy and the mag had rust, I had them quote a complete rebuild of my dead crank and they essentially said its cheaper to buy a new one than rebuild the old.

For a budget rebuild, the hotrods is probably the way to go. I waffled back and forth so much between the hotrods and oem crank. I figured I'd still go OEM even though I'm not going to be doing anything to the ski other than the carb mods and probably ride plate. I dunno, some people say hot rods is fine, others say only OEM. Decent cost difference though...

Thread Information