Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Inherited 750 SLT Project

Well, I've managed to find myself in the possession of a 95ish 750 SLT which is in need of some work. After doing a lot of reading on the web about these ski's, it seemed like this was the best place to come for some assistance. I haven't actually gotten the thing from my uncle yet, but hopefully in the next little while I'll pick it up and start working on it.

My uncle has had it for only 2 or 3 years, and in that time it ran great after he originally had the carbs rebuilt along with some other work, but in the last year or two its been very down on power and takes forever to get up to any kind of speed. Having ridden it a lot myself during this time, I'd say it will probably only get up to 22 or 23mph, and takes a long time getting there.

Based on what I read online, I'm guessing this is likely the symptom of at least one or two of the cylinders not running very well, although the thing doesn't noticeably bog or anything like that. I've been told it tends to foul one plug, so I'm betting that's probably where the issue is.

The carbs have been rebuilt, although they're probably going to require a good cleaning again as the start of my work. I'm not sure if the fuel pump has been replaced/upgraded with the 3 output unit, so I plan on doing that immediately if it hasn't been done already, along with the replacing of most of the fuel line, as I've read they also tend to be problematic.

I have a lot of spare parts for the thing, including a good (but somewhat rusty) spare cylinder and head, an entire spare tailshaft and impeller which is in absolutely perfect shape, a spare CDI box, and a few other things. I'm basically just posting this to introduce myself, see if anybody has suggestions on other items that I should check, and to keep track of what all I will be, or have already done. Any tips would be very appreciated. I've got a lot of experience working on 4 stroke engines, cars mostly, but I have never worked on a 2-stroke before and fear I'm getting myself in over my head with this project. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Banned User
    +1
    I would first check compression on the engine. That will give you a clue where to look. Pull the carbs and check them out too. Make sure they are clean internally.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bman22 View Post
    ... this was the best place to come for some assistance.
    Welcome

Be sure to click on my signature links. Lots of useful info.

As noted, compression text is a good check. Throttle held wide open, all spark plugs out, strong battery.

Note that Polaris watercraft really like a strong battery. Weak batteries can cause all sorts of starting troubles and confound diagnostics.

+1
    Always a good idea to update your profile and list where you are. Some of the Polaris guru's on here may offer assistance in your diagnosis/or repair.
    JJ

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Probably the rings - I'll bet they were never replaced. 2 strokes down on power that's usually the case. As stated, do a compression check, that will tell you.

Alright, that will be first on my list of to-do items. I'm assuming I can use a normal automotive compression tester?

Also, another issue I neglected to mention, when you run the tank out, the fuel system will not prime again properly without pouring a little gas down the carbs. Leads me to believe there are fuel pump issues, unless this is relatively common on these engines?

+1
    It takes some work to prime the new lines on a new build, or in your case, an empty tank. I usually use a small electric pump to get everything filled. Pouring some gas down the carbs gets the motor to fire and increase the RPM and the draw through the pump. Using just the starter motor to try and prime the lines will take a while, drain the battery, and overheat the starter if you are not careful...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bman22 View Post
    ... when you run the tank out, the fuel system will not prime again properly ...
    Did you replace the fuel sector valve?

If original, it is likely the valve rubber seals inside have hardened and the valve is leaking air into the fuel system under suction from the fuel pump. Often the fuel pump will eventually draw fuel through but any air leaks impede fuel pressure and reduce flow to the carburetors.

The recommendation for original fuel selector valves is to replace with new. Not expensive.

Well, I finally picked the ski up. First thing I did was pull the carbs so if they needed parts, I could get them ordered. The base gaskets will need to be replaced, but I'm hoping I can just make some out of gasket paper. The diaphragms in all three seem rather stiff to me, and they make a light crackling noise when handled. I'm guessing they'll need to be replaced. I know the consensus is that the genuine Mikuni rebuild kits are superior, but considering I will need all three, and they're more than double the price, I'm hoping I can get away with the aftermarket brand.

I'll also go ahead and order the 3 output fuel pump, and work on redoing the fuel lines. I'll pull the fuel selector valve tomorrow and see about replacing the O-rings as well.

The next order of business is to check the compression and crank timing. I'm sure I can, but just to be sure, it's alright if I use a normal automotive battery for now, yeah? I'd rather not go out and buy one before I have some idea of what it's going to take to get this thing running.

Also, just curious as I haven't seen these discussed, but I'm guessing the big black blocks that go between the air cleaner and the carburetors are the oil injectors? They have lines that seem to go down to the oil pump and are oily as hell, so that's all I can figure.

Edit:
    I just read through the service manual, and noticed that under Crank Indexing, it says "Repetitive plug fouling on one cylinder with no other cause" as well as "Poor top speed". This has me concerned that my issue might be an indexing issue. What do you do if the crank is out of index?

What is the best way to check indexing to a reasonable degree of accuracy without removing the engine?
    Last edited by bman22; 04-21-2015 at 12:18 AM.

+1
    Check compression before index.....Redneck crank index check method:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1502246

Get the Mikuni Kits. Others who took the path you are thinking about have regretted

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information