Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I somehow doubt the epa will prevent the entry of the contaminated water into lake powell.

Nothing better to get people out then to contaminate the water supply.

just who were these epa whiz kids?

Dilution is NOT an acceptable solution. We'll be seeing the effects of the BP spill and subsequent dilution for decades to come.

This spill will go down on the books as one of the worst.

Wait till the wells start coming up bad.

2. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cxk View Post
    The EPA seriously let this happen?
    It was my understanding that they made it happen.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    things happen fast when large quantities of water are involved.

That's the problem in this part of the county. There are thousands of abandoned mines, typically dug until they breached the water table so you have deathtraps everywhere ready to snag an uninformed hiker. In some situations the water can accumulate until it can breech a low point and run downhill.

The dry holes are worse, you'll fall 100 feet to the bottom of a shaft with no hope of escape.

The water there was already tainted..but now it's REALLY tainted and people are freaking out. The water couldn't support fish before the release...for a while it's going to be further restricted...the economic losses are going to be huge.

The workers involved should be held accountable, but we know they won't "it was an accident"

mining was very dirty and dangerous work, but without it, the county wouldn't have grown.

I have a buddy here who has small claim and works about $1000 a month worth of gold out of it. Less these days with the drop in prices, but hauling hundreds of five gallon pails full of dirt all day isn't my idea of a good time.

They really should be treating the water again before it reaches lake Powell, as I said earlier, dilution is no solution.

+1
    Well, we went to Lake Powell. Not everything went perfectly but goddamnit, I went haha. We were supposed to go August 22nd but as I was packing the truck and preparing we noticed our house's AC was having trouble, turned out the inside fan motor was going out. We weren't able to go that week so I quickly scrambled to reschedule and work with my family for new days off 2 weeks later. Of course, the weather was looking crappy out there leading up to the trip dates. Everyone told me "Its the desert, it will barely rain if it does at all." I also realized there was no way I could postpone it again and still go this year so I just said screw it, and we headed out.

There isn't much to do on the drive, but the scenery is pretty nice at times. We left on a Sunday, got to powell Monday around 3 after a night outside of Albuquerque and a short stop at the Grand Canyon. I wish I could say the weather was nice, but we rolled into Page and it was pouring. After the weather cleared it was 70 degrees and almost 5pm. We decided to at least get on the water that day since we didn't have a ton of time there. Holy crap, that boat ramp is the craziest thing I've ever seen. I knew it was long, but after putting the skis in the water and parking the truck it took me 8-10 minutes to walk back to the skis. I didn't stop for a break, its about half a mile if you map it on Google lol. After about 30 minutes of riding the storms started rolling back in, we could see lightening so we decided to get off the water. The weather for the next day wasn't looking great either, I was getting pretty bummed. The rain was unbelievable that night. If you read the beginning of this thread you'll see we were sleeping in the truck. We drove to the Lone Rock campground and decided not to stay there since it was raining so hard and we've get sand all in our bed and possibly get the truck stuck. We ended up sleeping at Walmart, which was actually quite nice, lots of RVs there. The only down fall was it kept raining...almost all night. We kept having to sleep with the windows up off and on, luckily it was cool. The next day we found about 5 inches of water in the ski's foot wells. The weather had started to work with us Tuesday, we got on the water around 9am after it warmed up to about...68 degrees lol. We got to ride for quite a while, but then the wind picked up to about 18-20mph which seems to much higher than the usual wind speed. The canyon walls helped but we found white caps around a bend that prevented us from making it too far down the lake. My wife was getting cold, the spray was pretty chilly.

I had made reservations to visit Lower Antelope Canyon but they called and canceled from all the rain the night before. It may sound like I'm complaining about the rain but a group of people died just a short time up the road from us due to flooding. I'm grateful we were safe even if we were put out. We did stop by Horseshoe Bend, that was an amazing thing to see. The lake is really gorgeous, I hope we can go back soon and spend a lot more time there in the next few years. Luckily we didn't spend a ton of money, we probably spent around $650 on gas, food and the outrageous $60 entry fee to Wahweap ($20 for the truck, $20 for each jet ski...yikes) Not staying in hotels cut several hundred dollars from the cost. If anyone is wondering, we slept great in the truck, better than I expected by far. I'll add some pictures and a video of the lake.

Lake pics:

Watch in HD

Our bed, I've had more questions about that lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canyon1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	371611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canyon2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	371612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canyon3.jpg 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	371613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bedbare.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	371614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed.jpg 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	371615  
    Last edited by cxk; 09-11-2016 at 10:17 PM.

+1
    I figured I'd just use this old thread instead of making a whole new Powell thread. When we went the first time, I wanted to try to jet ski from Wahweap to Rainbow Bridge. The weather and time didnt allow for it. Its roughly 50 miles each direction.

Has anyone pulled off this trip on jet skis? I know I'd need to stop for gas at Dangling Rope and I'll be paying a crazy about for it. Its actually cheaper than taking the boat tour though, and the adventure of it would be cool.

Does anyone know if this channel is actually passable on jet skis? It saves several miles if so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 8.40.32 PM.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	437925  

7. +1 by:

+1
    Yes it is. This is called the cut, it is useable for boats and jetskis. I just checked and as of today it is open. It sometimes closes due to low water

9. +1 by:

cxk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanfunfishing View Post
    Yes it is. This is called the cut, it is useable for boats and jetskis. I just checked and as of today it is open. It sometimes closes due to low water
    Thanks! I'd love to come back soon. Maybe next year. I hope the lake will go up, or at least stop getting lower. I think its now 10-15 feet lower than when I last was there.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information