Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1

    Since PWC does not have a title, what prevents a thief from stealing it and using it?

    like the title says, since a PWC does not have a title registered to it, what prevents a thief from stealing a PWC and then re-registering it saying that they "bought it" or something along those lines?


  2. #2
    OzarkYamMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lake Of The Ozarks
    Posts
    2,152
    +1
    295
    Not sure what you mean ? All PWC's have paper titles ! You must have one in order to register it. If you buy one with out title, and can really only be used for parts. Any other use is not legal in U.S. No exceptions.

  3. #3
    i bought a brand new one from my yamaha dealer (i live in colorado), no title, the only title was to the trailer. Went to register it with my park and rec, didn't ask for a title either or any type of info besides year make model and cc

  4. #4
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,150
    +1
    129
    Have the DMV run the VIN number on the hull.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by riick370 View Post
    Have the DMV run the VIN number on the hull.

    I'm not worried about my Ski since i bought it brand new, i know its not stolen. I'm simply asking what prevents someone from doing what i said, like go to the lake and just pick one up and drive it home and re-register it

  6. #6
    Q in Arizona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    30,415
    +1
    7,298
    Quote Originally Posted by truwrxtacy View Post
    i bought a brand new one from my yamaha dealer (i live in colorado), no title, the only title was to the trailer. Went to register it with my park and rec, didn't ask for a title either or any type of info besides year make model and cc
    Same here in Arizona...no titles on offroad vehicles including watercraft...only the trailer has the title because it is for road use and goes through DMV and has an actual license plate. The registration is the form of ownership. I figure you go through your state Game and Fish to do your watercraft registration just like here in Arizona? They have the engine number which is ski specific and hull number which is owner specific. Someone just can't re-register it by saying they bought it from you.

    A number of pieces of paperwork must be submitted to Game and Fish when registering new or used skis and previous owner paperwork declaring it sold, yada yada must be submitted. I know...one time I bought a used ski and was missing one piece of this paperwork and they kicked back my whole packet I mailed them and I had to wait another 2 weeks to get my registration and numbers...was killing me to wait to get on the water. lol.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by truwrxtacy View Post
    i bought a brand new one from my yamaha dealer (i live in colorado), no title, the only title was to the trailer. Went to register it with my park and rec, didn't ask for a title either or any type of info besides year make model and cc
    Same here in Arizona...no titles on offroad vehicles including watercraft...only the trailer has the title because it is for road use and goes through DMV and has an actual license plate. The registration is the form of ownership. I figure you go through your state Game and Fish to do your watercraft registration just like here in Arizona? Someone just can't re-register it by saying they bought it from you. A number of pieces of paperwork must be submitted to Game and Fish when registering new or used skis and previous owner paperwork declaring it sold, yada yada must be submitted.

    Ahh Gotcha! thanks this was what i was looking for! Ya i register everything through parks and rec, but the whole no title thing was confusing to me since they didn't really ask me for much when i registered the craft, i was worried that any joe schmoe can pick one up off from the lake and re-register it.

  8. #8
    Ski Hacks MG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,253
    +1
    990
    No titles in Georgia. Only certain states require titles. If you are in one of those states, you better make sure you buy one with a title.

  9. #9
    Q in Arizona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    30,415
    +1
    7,298
    Quote Originally Posted by truwrxtacy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by truwrxtacy View Post
    i bought a brand new one from my yamaha dealer (i live in colorado), no title, the only title was to the trailer. Went to register it with my park and rec, didn't ask for a title either or any type of info besides year make model and cc
    Same here in Arizona...no titles on offroad vehicles including watercraft...only the trailer has the title because it is for road use and goes through DMV and has an actual license plate. The registration is the form of ownership. I figure you go through your state Game and Fish to do your watercraft registration just like here in Arizona? Someone just can't re-register it by saying they bought it from you. A number of pieces of paperwork must be submitted to Game and Fish when registering new or used skis and previous owner paperwork declaring it sold, yada yada must be submitted.

    Ahh Gotcha! thanks this was what i was looking for! Ya i register everything through parks and rec, but the whole no title thing was confusing to me since they didn't really ask me for much when i registered the craft, i was worried that any joe schmoe can pick one up off from the lake and re-register it.
    Naw, there's procedures in place with Game and Fish, or in your case Parks and Rec, thank God. lol. When you get your registration and hull number in the mail from them there should be a small piece of paper that is your actual registration, like a car and it should say this is your proof of ownership or something like that...and should be carried on ski at all times.

  10. #10
    Treemn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Coral Springs FL
    Posts
    3,316
    +1
    634
    in Florida you have a title

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2002 Polaris Virage TX - Does not have ignition
    By mark1016 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2016, 12:52 AM
  2. Sbt 15f engine head does not have enough fittings
    By Nickeljet in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2015, 11:03 AM
  3. 2001 SLX does not have spark
    By polarisman01 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 12:42 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM
  5. Retirement Does Not Have To Be Boring !!
    By RX951 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2006, 09:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •