Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just got a couple 2003 XLT 1200's, need advice

Hey all,
    I purchased a couple 2003 XLT 1200's in (what appears to be) great condition. I bought them Thanksgiving weekend, and took them out for a very brief ride on the river to ensure they were working properly. Following that, I didn't do much to them. I have this sneaking suspicion that I am going to be cleaning or rebuilding the carbs, based on my failure to treat the gas (I don't know if the seller treated the gas prior to Thanksgiving, when he winterized). This is my first ski/boat to own, so I'm sure I'm screwing myself up by not doing what I should be doing.

Regardless, with my lack of proper winterizing, I'm contemplating the task of removing/cleaning/rebuilding the carbs on both skis. I've thought that IF I need to rebuild, I want to do it before it warms up enough to use them. Before I launch on such an endeavor, I had a couple questions for those of you who are much more experienced:
    • Is there a way to see if they need cleaning, without dropping them into the lake/river (it's about 60 degrees here right now, so kind of cold for a spin on the skis).
    • Is there an online guide for taking off the carbs? I saw a few references to Cajundude's website, but that appears to be a dead link now.
    • If I'm pulling the carbs off, should I go ahead and rebuild (rather than just try to get by with cleaning)?
    • If I'm doing the work for the carbs, I know there are a few other things I can do. I saw Bill's write-up for mods that seem to be helpful for other people. I wouldn't mind doing that, assuming it's relatively idiot proof (I'm kind of an idiot). What should I be considering/doing? The things I've found that appear to be the most important are:
    1. WaveEater Power Valves
    2. Pump Seal Kit, to stop cavitation
    3. catalytic converters > D plate & chip sensor
    4. Plug the oil pump and run premix
    • I know that Bill passed away. My understanding was that there were a few people on here (including Bill) that were the go-to guys for carbs...some would rebuild them for others (obviously for a fee). With Bill's passing, are there others on here that I could send my carbs to? In Louisville, the local Yamaha shop won't work on 2 strokes anymore. I can go further afield, but figured if someone was on here that did some of the work, I'd go that route.
    Anything else you can think of to tell me/guide me in the right direction, please let me know. I'm dumb, but I'm learning... =)

Thanks
    -Scott

+1
    One thing how are the ski's riding are they bogging......

Quote Originally Posted by RIVERA RACING View Post
    One thing how are the ski's riding are they bogging......
    I haven't ridden them since then Thanksgiving test drive, During that ride, they didn't appear to bog down, but then again, I wasn't pushing them incredibly hard...I just wanted to make sure that they ran. Didn't know about this issue with frequently getting gunked up carbs. Now the river is colder, so I am hesitant to load them into the water without a wetsuit or something.

+1
    Ok those ski's have a cat....remove them and install the D plate and chip............and rebuilt the carbs....

+1
    Jim's Performance is who I would use to rebuild the carbs.

@Rivera, thanks. I figured I'd do that...are all the parts available through Greenhulk, or is there another place I should be looking to order the parts from? I've seen several threads where you've talked a lot about these skis. I appreciate your advice (both on those other threads and directly to me). Would you do Bill's upgrade, or leave it at this for now? I read that entire thread and it seemed that a lot of people were liking it. I am just going to like having a ski (this is my first...ridden a fair amount with friends, but never owned one).
    @CCW - thanks for the recommendation. Jim's Performance - are they a member here, or where should I look for them? I'm in Louisville (not that that matters...I can send the carbs off anywhere that will accept them).

Is it difficult to get the carbs off? I've heard that it's a long process, but not overly complicated. I'm not a mechanic, but am mechanical in nature. Just trying to figure out if this is something that I have a mechanic buddy of mine do, or if I do it my self.

Thanks again,
    -Scott

+1
    PM sent.

+1
    Without a doubt, on a 11 yr old ski rebuild the carbs. Which for the most part is cleaning and new gaskets, and other parts as needed. I have never had a problem with oil injection, it saves a good bit of oil and smoke, but would use metal clamps on all the oil lines. I would suggest O'side Bills recommendations on rejetting and flame arrestors, a big improvement in how they run and reliability as well. (less chance of a lean out burning a piston) Enjoy the XLT's, they are alot of fun.

WFO (Rich) on here does the carbs too. Actually he can do anything on the 66V engine...

If you do it yourself, buy only genuine mikuni kits ($50 each), as others have mentioned follow oside bill's or fercho's carb guides for rejetting and oside's drilled return, leak test the carbs (fercho has a guide for that, might be on a different site though), and popoff test each carb (same fercho guide).

I spent the most time cleaning my crusted up carbs than anything really. 2 flat head screwdrivers ground down to snugly fit the jets is a good idea and an impact driver (drill, screwdriver, whatever) really helped me get my really stuck phillips screws out of both sides of each carb.

Its easier and costs less to rebuild the carbs than it is to rebuild the engine AND the carbs. Plenty of good carb guys on here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information