+1

Lost my valvespring (pic)

Hi guys, assembling my engine back in the hull, but cant find the second spring for the valves!!
    What will happen if i drive witout one, or is it anything i can do so i can run it?(long deliverytime for a new one)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	355371

+1
    running without the spring is going to do no more harm than any of the other problems that I see you have from that pic. Lake testing it for the 1st time will allow you to make a more complete list of what to buy-- make the order after coming back from the water...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    running without the spring is going to do no more harm than any of the other problems that I see you have from that pic. Lake testing it for the 1st time will allow you to make a more complete list of what to buy-- make the order after coming back from the water...
    And what other problems do you see from the pic? :/

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'd avoid running a 951 without all the correct bits in place..not to mention how overpriced the "spring" is

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gissla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    And what other problems do you see from the pic? :/
    I have been fixing 951s all year long since 2000. If the easily seen details are questionable or wrong, there are typically MANY issues that are not visable. I have had several customers, now friends drive several states away for me to fix their 951 problems that have been going on in some instances for years. Your pic shows me a very sloppy technique and a lack of knowledge in some basic areas. Please don't take this the wrong way as I have seen similar "repairs" done by "the local Professional repair shops." In order to give a 951 a chance at a good long service life, shortcuts will typically turn a fragile high performance amazing toy into a lemon.

Anyhow, the spring is not that big of a deal to lake test the machine as the other repair shop tech. mentioned. Yes, I do suggest having it on your next order. This is what I am getting out of your pic: pipe halves are not lined up, center pipe mount bushing is missing or damaged, very questionable manifold to cylinder sealing, the bolt will work in the exhaust manifold, but is not the correct 1-- this tells me the attention to detail of the build is on the low side and the 951 has a very low tolerance for mistakes.

Last year I repaired a '99 GSXL that has lived its life in most of the local repair shops-- I put motor no. 5 in at hour 59 on the info center and gave the customer a 1 year personal warranty against ANYTHING on the machine-- I just did a quick preseason on it last week and the machine now had 135 hours on the clock. The story is knowing what details you can let slide and knowing which 1s will cost big-- this comes from experience.
    Last edited by jim; 04-07-2015 at 07:35 PM.

Thread Information