View Poll Results: Which Ski brand is more reliable? Honestly (no fan boy answers)

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • SeaDoo

14 33.33%
  • Yamaha

14 33.33%
  • Kawasaki

3 7.14%
  • Not much difference - They are all money pits

11 26.19%
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Question SeaDoo Reliability vs Yamaha

I am currently on the fence on which ski to buy. Reliablity is a huge factor to me, as I am NOT very mechanically inclined.

I ran a search of all threads started here in the past 30 days and came up with 247 new threads. (most of which seem to be "I have a problem" type)

I ran the same search in the Yamaha 4-Tec forum and came up with half as many threads.

Now I will say that the majority of problem threads in the Seadoo forum seems to be coming from Supercharged models. (of which I am not buying)

Can anyone here chime in on the pros and cons of each (as far as reliability, performance and service)? Owned both and can give personal insight?

Models I am considering (all new) -- Will be buying two
    2014 or 2015 SeaDoo GTI 155se
    2014 SeaDoo GTI 155 Limited
    2014 SeaDoo GTX 155

2015 Yamaha VX Cruiser

I really like the style of the Seadoo but the VX Cruiser is no slouch.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BetaRoc View Post
    I ran a search of all threads started here in the past 30 days and came up with 247 new threads. (most of which seem to be "I have a problem" type)

I ran the same search in the Yamaha 4-Tec forum and came up with half as many threads.
    Sometimes the answers are right in front of us.

3. +1 by:

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BetaRoc View Post

Sometimes the answers are right in front of us.
    You love kawi's

5. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    You will be hard pressed to keep the fan boys away from this thread. Me personally, I would go for the Sea Doos. The Yamaha VX is pretty slow. Take a look at the VXR/VXS. They are probably in the same price range as the Sea Doos you are considering and will be a ton of fun.

+1
    I think any of the non supercharged 4 stroke skis if you take good care of them shouldn't give you to much problem.

Personally like the looks of Sea Doo better than Yamaha and I own a Kawasaki

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    This subject has been 'discussed' many times, in many ways. There is no single answer, no clear ranking.

If you intend to reply upon your selling dealer or another trusted service to maintain and repair the watercraft, your choice of dealer may well be the defining aspect, not brand or model.

The non-supercharged models are generally considered to be reliable overall, across the brands.

There are differences in hull and ride characteristics, these tend to reflect personal preference and typical water conditions. Rough choppy water tends to favor the larger/longer hull models, smaller/shorter hulls are fine on smooth rivers and generally quiet lakes.

The new-for-2015 Yamaha VXR/VXS hulls have been positively reviewed, but not many yet in private hands.

I rode a last-minute rental 2013 or 2014 Seadoo GTI 130 during a charity ride last year. Flat out for 30 minutes right from launch with zero time to 'learn' how it would handle, I found the hull predictable and forgiving despite pounding and bouncing through extended washing machine conditions chasing down a swarm of over 40 other watercraft that had left the start well ahead of me. While the hull did not try to throw me off despite some bad bounces, the comparably larger PWC of all brands that I passed were generally handling the chop more smoothly than I was while hanging on wide open.

The Seadoo IBR makes close quarters maneuvering and docking much easier to do well. The new Yamaha Ride system promises to do the same. With some practice the skill of using manual reverse system (or no reverse at all) can be learned, having IBR or Ride just make it much, much easier.
    Last edited by K447; 04-07-2015 at 11:00 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    You will be hard pressed to keep the fan boys away from this thread. Me personally, I would go for the Sea Doos. The Yamaha VX is pretty slow. Take a look at the VXR/VXS. They are probably in the same price range as the Sea Doos you are considering and will be a ton of fun.
    You obviously didn't read the original post very well or you would have noticed...

"...problem threads in the Seadoo forum seems to be coming from Supercharged models. (of which I am not buying)."

+1
    You obviously didn't read the original post very well or you would have noticed...

"...problem threads in the Seadoo forum seems to be coming from Supercharged models. (of which I am not buying)."
    OP is not considering supercharged models, so entire thread should be in reference to non-supercharged models.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

OP is not considering supercharged models, so entire thread should be in reference to non-supercharged models.
    Did his post not originally say FZR/FZS?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Did his post not originally say FZR/FZS?
    Not that I saw.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information