+1

What are the signs of Intercooler leaking

Hi guys
    just want any advice u can ,,, , I had new motor and throttle body put in my 13 rxp260 at35 hrs
    the dealer said the new model intercoolers didn't have same issues but after reading the forums I have seen that is not the case , just saving up last bit of cash for my f1000 fizzle , coming in next month , but I have now put 27 hrs on the new motor and it's going great ,, but really don't want to damage this motor ,,
    what are the tell tail signs , how of I check if it's ok ,, untill I put the fizzle in ,

The quickest way is to pull of the charged air hose going into the throttle body, run your ski on the hosepipe and rev the engine. If there's a leak you'll see it spray out the end of the charged air hose. There are a few vids on the forum of this happening.

Be careful not to confuse a little moisture from condensation (which is normal) with a leak.

There are other longer ways to test the IC, but they involve removing it and pressure testing.

If you have a leak, sometimes the first thing you notice is surging power from the engine or rough running - at this point you gotta act quickly especially if you ride in salt water.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks , I will do that check tomorrow ,,, why are seadoo ic fail rate so high , do u guys think the new ones are any better than the 13 model ones ,,, is it something I have to check after each ride till I put the fizzle in it
    i

There was a poll on here trying to get some real numbers on the problem. Didn't really get the answers needed.

The 08 yr cores were much tougher. The following years saw the problems. The newer ones were supposed to be better, but guys still saw issues.

Some say it's salt water, but some fresh water ones have also failed. The inner core wall matrix seams to be very thin and punches out easily.

Most guys change to Fizzle or Gen 3. There have been some Gen 3 leakers (or maybe leaker), but Riva & Jerry sorted it out.

I wouldn't risk an OEM one. I swapped mine out before it failed.

I can only speak about Gen 3, as I have that one, but it's a piece of engineering beauty. Solid core ends and pin perfect flowing welds. I'm very happy n feel very secure.

There doesn't appear to be a set of strict conditions for failure, but it looks like it's 50/50 good ones n bad. Problem is the damage it causes. A little moisture in the intake isn't a problem (fresh water humidity), but throw buckets of water in there and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Get it changed out asap and sleep better at night.

+1
    The replacement coolers are no better than the originals.
    They are still failing

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    They are still failing
    , I thought that may be the case , I did the check today , perfectly dry for time being , using salt away every flush , but waiting on next pay cheque to get the fizzle ,,, , dose a aftermarket cooler affect the warranty ,,, u would think by putting a good one in it would eliminate problems , but if something else goes wrong , would they knock back a warranty claim because of a aftermarket part ????

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    They are still failing
    , I thought that may be the case , I did the check today , perfectly dry for time being , using salt away every flush , but waiting on next pay cheque to get the fizzle ,,, , dose a aftermarket cooler affect the warranty ,,, u would think by putting a good one in it would eliminate problems , but if something else goes wrong , would they knock back a warranty claim because of a aftermarket part ????
    I think you'd be ok, provided it wasn't the aftermarket IC that failed and caused the problems. I'm sure one of the dealers on here will confirm.

If it's unrelated to the IC but you still feel uncomfortable, just swap it back with the OEM one before you take it into the dealer, there is no record of it ever being there.

Thread Information