Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OK, let the diagnosing begin (multiple ski's)

So apparently I'm a glutton for punishment. I sold my XP a couple years ago and have been looking at snagging something else for myself and the wife/kid to ride.

First off I'd like to preface that skis in my neck of the woods bring stupid money. If you can find a remotely clean mid 90's with trailer for under 2k you're doing good.

SKI 1

So I find a 98 GSX that the owner (he literally is about 70 lol) claims has 65 hrs. Sounds too good to be true but I make the 8 hr round trip to pick it up. Needless to say when I get there and check hours, it's 175. Now I don't know very many 951's to have made it this far without a rebuild. This one has been taken very good care of and is about as clean a ski as I have seen. It is immaculate. With the exception of a couple minor knicks it could pass as a year old ski. I pull a compression check on it and I get 120 on the button for both cylinders. Sounds low (not sure how much I lose at 3,000'), but they are both close which is promising. We tried to get it to fire while there and it wouldn't. Cranks and cranks but won't start. Key beeps, there is spark, but no worky. I decide to take a chance on it anyways based on the condition and flip him 800 cash for ski only. Might sound high but this ski on a trailer would easily bring 2,200 -2,500 in not nearly as nice condition here.

Any advice on what to check here? She has fresh fuel.

Once I get her fired (fingers crossed), I'm really debating on what to do? I'd like to soup it up a bit, but with 175 hrs, I'm a bit nervous. I talked with a couple guys and they felt the crank should be fine and only a top end kit would be needed at most. I was thinking of having it bored 1.5mm over, slap some Wiseco pistons in it with some upgraded reeds, and call it a day. I'd love to do a head mod to it as well, but am not sure.

SKI 2

So I am need of a trailer and have been scouring CL for a dual trailer to use when I find a second ski. Well I run across a fairly nice dual trailer with a 1995 SPX (which turns out to be a 97 when I go to look at it ). The guy winterized it 2 years ago and parked it out behind his barn until now. The battery is obviously toast and with no way to test operation I pay him $900.00 for both (dual trailers bring around 700 here so in essence I paid 200 for the ski). It's it decent shape (it's been beached quite a bit and it's faded, but overall a solid ski). The engine looks untouched.

Now here's the problem. I put a new battery in it and plug in the lanyard and I get nothing. No beeps, not even a starter click. The ski has power as the trim gauge is working. I start to trouble shoot and find the black box in the back completely full of water. It's obviously been sitting like that for 2 years. I'm going to replace the fuse, but I'm assuming that the box is past saving and it should just be replaced? Could this be the cause of no beeps and no starter engagement or do I need to keep digging?

I'd like to at least get the ski to turnover so I can check compression to see if it's worth going any further or bailing and selling it.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    The GSX is a Hot Rod at stock level and if it's for your wife and kid then certainly leave it stock...and as far as the box...anything rusted or corroded needs to be addressed. The beepers seem to work off and on on seadoo's i always spray lube inside it and a day later it works

+1
    Plan on total fuel system cleanouts on both skis. New fuel lines if they are grey, clean out the tanks completely, clean/test the fuel selectors, carb jobs all of the way around or much pain and suffering is in store for you. If a ski sits for even one season off it's going to get that treatment in my book. 1 lean run is all it takes to finish off that 175 hr 951... 120 compression isn't great, but i would run it until it gets lower to the point it won't start in the water(this might be many many more hours for free).
    Modding is last, you must have a perfect ski with no problems before you begin to "soup" one up... eliminate all potential problems and demons and have everything working perfectly before you make changes that can make things worse.

That wet electrical box is trouble, i wouldn't even hook a battery up to that ski knowing that the electrical box is wet... looking for a fried mpem there... dry it out and test the components individually, your starter solenoid will be bad for sure, but your coil could be questionable too.

Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    Plan on total fuel system cleanouts on both skis. New fuel lines if they are grey, clean out the tanks completely, clean/test the fuel selectors, carb jobs all of the way around or much pain and suffering is in store for you. If a ski sits for even one season off it's going to get that treatment in my book. 1 lean run is all it takes to finish off that 175 hr 951... 120 compression isn't great, but i would run it until it gets lower to the point it won't start in the water(this might be many many more hours for free).
    Modding is last, you must have a perfect ski with no problems before you begin to "soup" one up... eliminate all potential problems and demons and have everything working perfectly before you make changes that can make things worse.

That wet electrical box is trouble, i wouldn't even hook a battery up to that ski knowing that the electrical box is wet... looking for a fried mpem there... dry it out and test the components individually, your starter solenoid will be bad for sure, but your coil could be questionable too.
    I planned on replacing all lines on the SPX and redoing the carbs. I'll probably go ahead and clean the carbs on the GSX as well. The GSX doesn't have the gray fuel lines on it, they are black? I kind of agree on running it right now until something goes wrong. If it does have a serious melt down I'd probably look into just doing a 1050 down the road. The rest of the ski is nice enough I don't mind throwing a little extra money at it and keeping it for a few years.

Believe me; if I had known the rear box was full of water I wouldn't have even hooked it up. I didn't find this out till after I started troubleshooting. The motor compartment had next to 0 water inside so there was absolutely no reason for me to assume there were hidden issues. I'm hoping I didn't wipe out the MPEM, but if so; I'm into the ski cheap enough I can justify putting a new one in it. Right now I'm more concerned with just getting it to crank over to test compression first. What I do with it will depend on how it checks out. If the motor is locked, or I have any reason to believe the bottom end is junk, I'm just going to sell the ski for parts and buy something else.

I'm assuming that even if I get no beep or starter action, I should still be able to bump start the motor by bridging the starter solenoid?

The 787 and 951 need a good charged battery. Check voltage while cranking. If it gets below 10.5 or so, the cdi will cut spark.

Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    The 787 and 951 need a good charged battery. Check voltage while cranking. If it gets below 10.5 or so, the cdi will cut spark.
    Battery has plenty o juice. It's brand new and testing just fine.

I figured I'd forget about the GSX for a bit and focus on the SPX as I want to determine if it's worth keeping or parting out. I pull the rear electrical box apart and clean all the contacts and reassemble. I replaced the old fuse with a new one. I took apart the MPEM in the front of the ski and it is dry as a bone. Looks like new with no burnt fuses or anything that looks out of place (visually).

I put the lanyard back in and still no beeps and no crank. No click, nothing. I decide at this point it's time to check compression before I go any further. I bypass the starter solenoid and she spins to life. Each cylinder measures dead on at 150 psi. Now I know the motor is good I can start to troubleshoot and throw some more money at it.

Here's where I am baffled. So with everything cleaned and hooked up and the lanyard inserted, I get power to the VTS trim gauge, and the VTS button on the bar. When testing for power at the on/off switch I get nothing. No juice is going to it. Where should I be looking or troubleshooting to find out why I have no power at the switch?

The owner claimed the ski ran perfect when he winterized it 2 years ago and I believe him. So what could have happened between then and now that I need to track down?

If you don't have a multimeter, then get one. Then get out your wiring diagram, and start tracing out power. I would first suspect the connector at the rear box. Keep in mind it is often a bad ground, so you need to check all grounds too.

On the GSX, don't even think of using Wiseco's on it. Really bad idea on a 951. These engines are hard on piston skirts, and the excessive clearance needed for Wiseco's stresses them. I have photo's here somewhere of one that exploded after just a few hours, photo's of the other piston showing cracking at the bosses leading into the skirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    If you don't have a multimeter, then get one. Then get out your wiring diagram, and start tracing out power. I would first suspect the connector at the rear box. Keep in mind it is often a bad ground, so you need to check all grounds too.

On the GSX, don't even think of using Wiseco's on it. Really bad idea on a 951. These engines are hard on piston skirts, and the excessive clearance needed for Wiseco's stresses them. I have photo's here somewhere of one that exploded after just a few hours, photo's of the other piston showing cracking at the bosses leading into the skirt.
    I have a good MM. I ended up buying a used rear box off ebay for 60 bucks I'm going to replace my current one with. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, I have a couple spare parts for down the road.

After talking with Chris from WM (they are really slow getting back to you) he advised a complete rebuild on the GSX based on the hours. I'm not sure I want to go that route and I might end up selling it and going a different direction. I really like the ski though and it's in great shape.

I get so many conflicting responses, even from top shops. Full bore said the crank should be just fine and a top end kit would be all I'd need to do. He recommended Wiseco pistons over the Pro X I asked about. I've heard great things about Full bore so I'm surprised to hear the Wiseco's are a bad idea on the 951.

+1
    Personally, I think you may be jumping the gun on the GSX 951. Dont do a rebuild. Dont do any mods. Dont sell it. Get it running. Take it out to the water. I think you'll like the power just as is. It's will be fast enough for your first ski. Probabaly too fast for the family. Will ride 2 people fine, but not as good for family of 3.

The SPX has one of the better motors Seadoo produced. Fun ski, very agile which then equals very unstable at low speeds. Not a 2 person ski unless you like getting wet. Fast enough, probably will keep up with the 951. I suspect you have a issue with the solenoid. Check power to it when you hit the start button. Don't worry about the beeps, they usually go out on older skies anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    Personally, I think you may be jumping the gun on the GSX 951. Dont do a rebuild. Dont do any mods. Dont sell it. Get it running. Take it out to the water. I think you'll like the power just as is. It's will be fast enough for your first ski. Probabaly too fast for the family. Will ride 2 people fine, but not as good for family of 3.
    Thanks. I'd tend to agree but Chris has me nervous that it's going to grenade on it's first outing lol. There will never be 3 people on the GSX, I can't even imagine trying to ride 3 on that thing lol.

The SPX has one of the better motors Seadoo produced. Fun ski, very agile which then equals very unstable at low speeds. Not a 2 person ski unless you like getting wet. Fast enough, probably will keep up with the 951. I suspect you have a issue with the solenoid. Check power to it when you hit the start button. Don't worry about the beeps, they usually go out on older skies anyway.
    I'm also thinking it's a solenoid. Every other one in the past has at least clicked though. This one does absolutely nothing. I"ll find out soon enough I guess when my new black box comes in. I'm very familiar with the X4 Hull. I've owned a few different ones in the past; just never one with the 787. My last couple had the 650, which I felt was a little underpowered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information