Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2001 VirageTXi help, no start, battery drain

I'm new here so take it easy and keep it simple. I recent picked up a 1200 virage txi cheap seller stated he did know what was wrong hence the cheap price. I tore it down and found that it must have hydro locked on one of the cylinders and bent a rod. I have since replaced the crank shaft and rods but now I'm finding other problems.
    1: it would originally turn over with the lanyard in or out now it will not turn over at all with the start stop switch.
    2: the display stays on at all time and drains the battery.
    im sure I will hit other snags once I can get it turning over and can start checking other things. I'm curious could these problems be related? If so what is the probable cause?
    also ski has been sitting for aprox 5yrs before I bought it.
    Last edited by K447; 04-15-2015 at 10:20 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

There are several possible causes, but a good place to start would be to bypass the LR-503 Start/Stop module. The original 2001 modules often fail.

See my signature links for more info.

The MFI display should show the clock all the time when it is in sleep mode. Not a battery drain concern, as long as it is actually switching to clock mode.

I did attempt to bypass the start stop module the way you laid it out with no change. I will do it again to be sure. Also I do not believe it is switching to sleep mode because if I leave the battery connected it will drain it completely. It is a brand new battery.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chm09 View Post
    I did attempt to bypass the start stop module the way you laid it out with no change. I will do it again to be sure. Also I do not believe it is switching to sleep mode because if I leave the battery connected it will drain it completely. It is a brand new battery.
    Leave the LR module bypassed until you get the problems resolved.

The MFI display sleep mode is easy to verify. See the MFD/MFI section of my signature links. It is rare for a display to cause battery drain unless the display has moisture inside, which typically would be visible inside the clear front.

Ok so I bypassed the lr-503 and it will now turn over via the start button. But now as it turns over I'm not getting fuel or spark. Any ideas on what to check next? I just installed a new fuel pump.

+1
    Ok so I bypassed the lr-503 and it will now turn over via the start button.

But now as it turns over I'm not getting fuel or spark. Any ideas on what to check next?

I just installed a new fuel pump.
    It wasn't cranking before using the Start button?

Make sure the ignition kill wire is not grounded. The kill switch grounds that wire and the engine will not start if it is grounded. Yellow/Black or Black/Yellow, I forget which at the moment

If you put the lanyard in place and wait more than five minutes, then crank the engine, does the MFI display immediately wake up and do a speedo needle full sweep? Press no other buttons, just the Start button.

It would not turn over using the start/stop button before I bypassed the or-503. Also the mfi does reset and the speedo and forward/reverse indicator does a full sweep. And just we are on the same page on diagnostics I'm not sure if it a 01 or an 2002. Title states 2002 and there is a barcode inside the hull stating 2002 but the hull I'd indicates it being a 2001.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    I almost bought that ski in NC. I had him down to $400 but he wouldn't sell the trailer and I didn't have another. I seem to recall the guy saying it was complete, but had some electrical issues.
    Good luck, and you came to the right place.

+1
    It would not turn over using the start/stop button before I bypassed the LR-503.

Also the mfi does reset and the speedo and forward/reverse indicator does a full sweep.

And just we are on the same page on diagnostics I'm not sure if it a 01 or an 2002. Title states 2002 and there is a barcode inside the hull stating 2002 but the hull ID indicates it being a 2001.
    What are the last four digits from the HIN number plate on the rear deck?

Ok so I checked the blk/y kill switch wire and it is grounded with lanyard out and ungrounded with lanyard in which I assume is normal. Last 4 digits of thin HIN is B101.
    Side note to unityracing I was able to buy the ski for $350 and convinced the seller to throw in the trailer for an extra $250. Hopefully it proves to be a good deal at this point I'm having my doubts.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information