Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First time SeaDoo'r needs your help

Hi everyone !

First off, I've been reading on here for quite some time, and it's quite obvious that this is a pretty awesome site, so I'm glad to be a part of it ! I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can in hopes it will help me decide which direction to go in when making my first SeaDoo purchase, and I could really use some help. Some background info for starters : I have over 30 years of experience in motorcycle riding, along with over 13 years of snowmobiling experience, and although I've ridden a few SeaDoos over the years, I've never owned one. With the snowmobile season coming to an end, I'm looking to add an RXP-X to the stable for some summer fun . I've been looking at some used units from 2012 and up, and I'm also considering a new 2015, but being my first purchase, I'm not 100% certain I want to spend so much on a new 2015 when there are some nice looking used ones with low hours for almost 5g less when it's all said and done. The obvious pros on a new unit is the incentive of a 3yr warranty, low financing, and the peace of mind knowing it's brand new, meaning I will be the person to give it a proper break in as I do with all my toys. Aside from the obvious unknowns when buying used, almost all of the ones I've found are about 14 hours or more driving distance away, and I already missed out on a sweet deal on a 2013 with only 12 hours use, including a trailer and a cover for about 6g less than new. I have until the end of April to take advantage of the extra warranty and low financing offer here in Canada, but the other thing is I'm not entirely sure I like the new all yellow color scheme , where the 2013 black and yellow is a lot easier on the eyes. I do prefer a stand out color scheme, but aside from that, there isn't much difference between the 2013 and the 2015 model that I have found. So here I am, looking for some advice from the experienced folks on this awesome site . And just incase, if anyone knows of a sweet deal on an RXP-X on the east coast of Canada, I'd appreciate the heads-up ! Thanks for reading, and Thanks for having me on-board

+1
    Welcome mate. Im a Newbie too. If it were me, i would be going the near new low hour ski. Its nice owning brand new things but i cant get over the full retail price of these suckers here $23K. We pay to much for things in Australia. Second hand near new low hour would be a better score. Let some other bugger cop the depreciation hit. lol

Good luck with it.

Welcome.

For me, I'd take a low hr late ski any day. Save yourself 5 or 6k and enjoy best colourway!

There is no specification advantage to going new or mechanical improvements. So the reliabillity will be identical.

A new ski is programmed with a break in curve. So many engine functions are restricted until certain hours are passed. You can litterally feel it opening up during this time. By around 10hrs, it's usually pretty much free from any restrictions (apart from normal rev, boost and torque limiters).

So, even if your used 15hr ski has been hammered out of the crate, it will have been difficult to damage anything to any great degree by aggressive riding. The ski will have taken most of the sting out of it upto 10 hrs. After then, it should be able to deal with almost all you can throw at it. (Which is a lot being an Rxpx!).

With the 5/6k you save you can either save to provide a warranty fund or, remove the limiters and open up the full potencial of the ski. Definately go Vtech as it's the kindest, easiest and most flexible for the money.

Enjoy, but don't be fooled that a new ski will actually be any better (if at all) then a 15hr one, even with no rider use history.

+1
    welcome to the GH
    tell us how you plan to use your new ski
    towing a tube or knee board, riding 2 up or just burning up the lake by yourself
    the late model rxpx is not the usual first ski

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    welcome to the GH
    towing a tube or knee board, riding 2 up or just burning up the lake by yourself
    Good point / question - there's always a sensible one

Thanks for the advice ! I'm leaning towards the 2013 for now, just waiting for the dealer to email me more detailed pictures and info on the ski. It's 14 hours drive away, comes with a brand new podium trailer for 5g less than new and only has 19 hours, like new condition I was told. My biggest concern is that I drive all the way there and find out it's not as described. I've heard some horror stories where a person drives all that distance, and the seller's interpretation of "mint condition" isn't quite the same as the buyer's, then you're out $700 in fuel, a night's stay at a hotel, meals etc. What would you guys ask of the seller before, during, and after the sale in a situation like this ? I've heard that the newer models have improved the time between service intervals for the SC. My local dealer said newer models are equipped with a stronger washer for longer life between rebuilds, something like 200 hrs now ? In the meantime, if anyone can add what things I should look out for before I buy used, I'd really appreciate the help !

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    welcome to the GH
    I plan to do a bit of everything it's capable of I'm all about performance, so I usually buy the higher end models when it comes to recreational sports. My current sled is a Skidoo Freeride, Skidoo's most aggressive off trail sled with 160 hp capable of anything you can throw at it, and my last sportbike was an R1. I've settled down quite a bit in the speed dept, but I know how it feels when you hit 300 km/hr. I have track experience, knee down at 200 km/hr kinda riding, and I've been involved in motorsports since I was 10. I've only ridden a few skis, but after asking a friend of mine who owns a newer GTi 155, even he said he wished he bought one of the super charged models, and he has basically the same interest in motorsports. The main reason I chose the RXP-X is because I really like the ergo lock system, it reminds me of how a sportbike gas tank wraps around you at the legs to give you leverage for turning, and of course it's looks are second to none. Anyway, I appreciate the concerns because you see far too often young people with no motorsports experience buying the biggest and fastest machines they can, later on to find out they're not capable of handling it responsibly and sometimes things go in the wrong direction just as fast. Thanks for the welcoming !

+1
    sounds great, just remember most places the rxpx is not a legal tow craft
    so any time you tow the fish cops could give you a ticket
    you need a 3 seat pwc to tow in most places to be legal
    last if your set on a rxpx maybe find a older 215hp 3 seater for the family to play on
    that way they stay off your toy until they are more experienced
    its always better to have at least a pair of skis for a day at the lake with the family

Forget the 200hr service promise (just search forum) - almost everyone who has common sense services at 100hr. If the SC lets go it's messy and bang goes your saved 5k if you're lucky. When you start ramping up the smile factors, you'll want to make sure everything is built and run as reliable as possible, with a bit of head room. Maintain it to within an inch of it's life. These engines are good, but with some love and respect, they can become very fast and very very good.

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Greenhulk!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information