Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

First Start-Up after a Winter Nap

So my Ultra-300x has ~50 hours on it now, and after a "short winter's nap" I went to fire it up for the 1st time in 2015 and "click".

Everything lit-up on the MFD and I set the time clock accordingly, I checked the bildge pump and that energized upon request. I could also hear the small electric motor running (or relay running) - when the key was inserted all the way - like it always does, and heard a click in the hull upon request to start.

I re-checked the terminals and Battery Voltage (~ 12.65 v DC) and made sure everything was ok, and went at it again and it rolled over firing up immediately.

-----------------------
    Prior to its winter nap - I fogged the SC, removed the 4 plugs, sprayed some fogging oil into each cylinder, re-installed plugs w/ anti-sieze, made certain the exhaust was REAL dry, and removed the battery, where the ski sat in my garage for ~ 4.5 months all covered-up.

Over the winter months, I would charge the battery every 2 or 3 weeks and measure the DC Voltage before and after accordingly with "good results". Hence I saw absolutely no reason to "SC" the OEM (Yuasa) Battery.

Curious if I may have a sticky relay or something that I should check before it makes its 1st "splash test run" for the 2015 season.

As always - Many Thanks !!!

+1
    Winter in Florida?

I ditched the OEM Yuasa after the first season with my ski. Went to a Deka AGM that met the factory specs. Make sure you have a buddy come out the first ride or two in case you do need a tow.

+1
    Yea, ya gotta watch those Yuasa batteries. The one that came with my Ultra 150 only lasted NINE YEARS!!!

+1
    Optus
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    So my Ultra-300x has ~50 hours on it now, and after a "short winter's nap" I went to fire it up for the 1st time in 2015 and "click".

Everything lit-up on the MFD and I set the time clock accordingly, I checked the bildge pump and that energized upon request. I could also hear the small electric motor running (or relay running) - when the key was inserted all the way - like it always does, and heard a click in the hull upon request to start.

I re-checked the terminals and Battery Voltage (~ 12.65 v DC) and made sure everything was ok, and went at it again and it rolled over firing up immediately.

-----------------------
    Prior to its winter nap - I fogged the SC, removed the 4 plugs, sprayed some fogging oil into each cylinder, re-installed plugs w/ anti-sieze, made certain the exhaust was REAL dry, and removed the battery, where the ski sat in my garage for ~ 4.5 months all covered-up.

Over the winter months, I would charge the battery every 2 or 3 weeks and measure the DC Voltage before and after accordingly with "good results". Hence I saw absolutely no reason to "SC" the OEM (Yuasa) Battery.

Curious if I may have a sticky relay or something that I should check before it makes its 1st "splash test run" for the 2015 season.

As always - Many Thanks !!!
    Static voltage checks can be misleading because cells breakdown under load, so its best to check battery volt under load conditions ie while cranking or trying to crank

+1
    I also have nothing but GOOD luck with the OEM Yuasa batteries.

In other skis, I had a local auto parts brand, an Odyesey, and always had the best luck with the Yuasa's

Thanks !!!

+1
    It sounds like a Batt problem is the thing and Im not knocking the stock one. Pull it out and go have a load check done on it. Maybe a weak cell or something goofy. Seems to always happen first thing in Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by infamous View Post
    Winter in Florida?

I ditched the OEM Yuasa after the first season with my ski. Went to a Deka AGM that met the factory specs. Make sure you have a buddy come out the first ride or two in case you do need a tow.
    The Yuasa Batteries that come stock on Yamaha Wave Runners are junk (I know). The Yuasa's on the KAW's are very good. JB

8. +1 by:

+1
    My guess would be a little corrosion on the contacts on the starter relay that wore through after you hit it a few times.

Next time, don't 'request' that it start, 'DEMAND' that it start!

+1
    Check your battery under load (running) should show on a automotive 12V multimeter 12.7 volts or better , best between 13-14V running ...now your ready for the season

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Do you wake up well everytime after a sleep......it was nothing more than relay /contact issue due to sitting around..

Now stop sookin and spank that monkey.

Waz

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information