+1

98 gsx limited problems

Over the winter I picked up a good condition gsx that the previous owner said that the top end needed rebuilding. I figured no big deal, P.O. Said motor was all stock. So I ordered a standard bore top end kit. Well I got to put the kit in and find that the top end has been bored over 1mm and its bad crank seals not Pistons/rings. Someone has had the motor apart before and trued/welded the crank but didn't install the counter balanced rite (the two blue dots didn't line up) I think this is what destroyed the crankseals.
    so hears my three problems
    1) when I start the motor it will idol fine but as soon as I touch the throttle it revs up and won't come down. Or sometimes it will just rev up all the way to 7500 rpms.
    2) the plug that goes in the water inlet on the exhaust pipe from the rave on the muffler. It fell out and I know this is supposed to be a metered amout of water going in there. How big of a hole do I need for this?
    3) this problem is kind of in conjunction with problem 1. When it revs up to 7500 rpms it won't shut off. As in stop button don't do anything nor does pulling the tether.

Obviously this is not safe at all, has anyone seen or heard of this before?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    When that happens HOLD the throttle WIDE open and it will stall..IT's running waaaaay lean either carbs or crank seals as you mentioned

+1
    I replaced both crank seals, took the carbs apart found that the pop off pressure was way off on both carbs. Also the high low jets were not set rite. I found a bad ground from the MPEM to the motor I'm pretty sure this is why it would not shut off, and the rev limiter wouldn't kick in. It runs perfectly now and the stop button and tether work. As for the water injection on the pipe, I ended up taking a 1/8" brass pipe plug. Drilled a small hole in it then angled the opening so water will fan out of it. Taped the pipe with a 1/8" pipe tap and installed the plug.

Thread Information