Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2015 Yamaha FZS SVHO - tuning thresholds

I'm trying to decide how valuable the 5 year warranty is to me and how much $ to sink into my 2015 FZS SVHO. Please help me with some feedback and data:

1. Safe performance mods that will not affect the warranty or reliability. (ex: scom and rideplate). What in particular, rough $ costs, performance gains?

2. After level 1, mods that may affect the warranty or reliability but will noticeably affect performance?

3. Mods that will likely void the warranty but overall the craft will still be very reliable for a "reasonable" cost.

I've read most of the tuning threads here and I think my goal is to get a 80+ mph craft, but I also want to retain holeshot and midrange acceleration. I'm not adverse to voiding the warranty, but I'm also interested how close to 80mph I can get without doing so. Finally, I am looking to put on 50 hours this summer and each thereafter; I'm definitely not interested in building a machine that is unreliable and spends the summer in the shop getting repaired all the time. I wasted a part of this past winter with an overly tuned Arctic Cat F1100 turbo and prefer ride time over tuning and repair time!

Thanks in advance!

+1
    Warranty - SCOM, Jims cut ride plate, ribbon delete, Tommy Jordan exhaust mod, cai, and hull ventilation mod alone get you high 70's. 78+. I would add BOV for SC clutch reliability.

Non warranty- From there Fizzle intercooler, r3 reflash, l13 adjustable cone, open exit nozzle, and 13/20 prop will get you mid 80's. Everyone with standard r3 has had safe air fuel so a fuel regulator not required but I'd recommend a wide band adaptor with wide band to verify. Add cooling kit for reliability

The speed bug bites hard. Won't take long and that warranty ends up a piece of paper lost in your sock drawer lol
    Last edited by LugNutLS1; 04-11-2015 at 08:25 AM.

+1
    Also I will note the above "warrant mods" will vary depending on the dealer. How savy they are with mods and their effect to the ski. Some dealers don't care to even look, some look but don't care, and some look just for a reason. But none of them should void warranty. The second group, yeah just don't if you are worried about your warranty.

I work in service at a dealer, and let me tell you its ALL up to the service writer.

+1
    Manufactory shouldn't repair a ski if had mods however as d000m just said it's all up to service if they want to help but by the policy of any warranty manufactory they would not repair if anything happens,
    That's the way of it Is so if you are worry about do mods and something happen and manufactory warranty will not cover then don't do it!
    But up to you ,
    Douglas

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    They will say paint on bottom is not guaranteed over 70mph lol

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not overly concerned about voiding the warranty, BUT honestly 78mph with a 5 year warranty and more importantly keeping the ski RELIABLE sounds very attractive. I know all about the mod bug, I've got exotic cars and snowmobiles as well. Overall, I've mostly kept modding in check . I have a 2014 RXPX (fantastic machine! -- I've not ridden the FZS yet, perhaps get the drysuit and put it in the water tomorrow to start breaking in) with 4 year warranty and am planning to keep that "mostly" stock to save the warranty and ride it without concern, but I know the FZS has a lot more potential which is more readily available to unlock than the RXPX, due in part to 300cc large engine displacement.

I also understand the warranty stuff is up to the dealer in a large degree. I presume most would prefer to do the work and get paid by the warranty company rather than be A-holes about a minor mod which "may or may not" have contributed to a failure. Certainly, blowing the SC from obnoxiously high levels of boost without proper cooling is another story.

My main priority is to ensure the ski is not likely to have persistent problems doing 50hrs a summer, regardless of whether I'm paying for repairs out of pocket or it's getting covered under warranty. Going along with keeping the mod bug in check, I am not looking to spend more than $2k or $3k on mods max, at which point it seems returns start to deminish.

I've got the 2015 FZS broken in now. It hits 68mph GPS (74 dream-o-meter) and is definitely being limited. It pulls hard up to 67-68 at 7600rpm and then settles back to 7200rpm. This is with a 100% full tank of gas and I weigh 270lbs at 6'6''. I'm thinking 71-72 is within range with just a SCOM, but then why waste $250 on a SCOM and not put that toward a tune instead...

I'm planning to do the R3 tune which seems a nice blend of reliability and $$$. Of the mods listed above by Lugnut, which ones do I need to safely run this machine at 80mph plus? I am not sure about the cone and need for a new prop or open exit nozzle? It seems the consensus is I'll definitely need a $1k fizzle and upgraded cooling to run R3 in the 80s?

+1
    I'm at 85mph on a new FZR SVHO I bought 3 months ago new from the dealer. I'm even still on the stock intake grate, stock intercooler, stock supercharger/wheel and no blowoff valve. The modified ECU by Dean Charrier is what really turned my ride into a beast. He's a champion Yamaha ski builder so he mostly cares about hookup, initial hit of acceleration and mid-range...Top speed just comes as icing on the cake. I think I spent around $2800 including all labor for everything in my signature and like I said I'm right at 85mph and that was in hot, humid air...I ride mine every weekend, put a bunch of hours on it so far and it feels better than stock at every speed.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FZeeR View Post
    I'm at 85mph on a new FZR SVHO I bought 3 months ago new from the dealer. I'm even still on the stock intake grate, stock intercooler, stock supercharger/wheel and no blowoff valve. The modified ECU by Dean Charrier is what really turned my ride into a beast. He's a champion Yamaha ski builder so he mostly cares about hookup, initial hit of acceleration and mid-range...Top speed just comes as icing on the cake. I think I spent around $2800 including all labor for everything in my signature and like I said I'm right at 85mph and that was in hot, humid air...I ride mine every weekend, put a bunch of hours on it so far and it feels better than stock at every speed.
    Rpms?? Afr??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information