+1

Is this ski a lost cause

So I noticed the other day there is always water in My 2012 Seadoo GTI hull after riding not a lot but its there. I'm asssuming this has been issue for a while as I have not had the ski in salt water but trying to find the leak I took pictures and damn is all this a lost cause even with a 2012 with only 33 hours? Ski runs good and everything works but it looks like the prior owner was having the leak issue as well and never fixed it just let the bailers do there job. Still have not found the leak but by looking at this pic of the carbon ring thats probably it. The worst is up at the front of the engine though. On the right hand side there is a ton of rust and evidence of water on the black metal peice bolted to the hull could this be my leak? Should I just sell this thing and go buy a new ski? All these pics except the one at the drive shaft are of the front of the engine compartment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2543[1].jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	355752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2566[1].jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	355753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2568[1].jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	355754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2575[1].jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	355755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2573[1].jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	355756

+1
    No, fix the leak and ride the thing. Rust never hurt anyone. Hose it down with Crc or wd-40. You'll get plenty of time out of it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosguru7 View Post
    Still have not found the leak but by looking at this pic of the carbon ring thats probably it.

ID:	355752
    Yes. See the sand in the hull... What has happened is you or prior owner at one point has left the ski on the beach or on the shore sitting 50% in water and 50% on sand. What has happened is sand collected from pump area and rested between driveshaft and bellow boot. Then when ski was put back into water and started, it caused the packed/compacted sand in that area to damage the carbon ring face - due to the space between driveshaft and ID of bellow boot.

Nothing wrong with beaching a ski (I do it all he time), just try to avoid parcial beaching where water and sand can get into the front part of driveshaft (water side). So I beach my ski above high-tide line (on incoming). I rather deal with a bald spot on hull (gelcoat) then replace carbon rings...

Also, from looking at the rust on driveshaft, you may have a hard time exposing the C-clip to remove the metal hat. Keep spraying it with penetrating fluid several days prior to repair.

As for the rust and exidation on components, welcome to SeaDoo. They have always had the worst engine paint in the industry. Nothing has changed since the old 580 days...

+1
    Interesting...never thought about sand getting up in the boot and then it getting up in the carbon ring. I don't ever beach my skis...good info to know.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosguru7 View Post
    Still have not found the leak but by looking at this pic of the carbon ring thats probably it.

ID:	355752
    Yes. See the sand in the hull... What has happened is you or prior owner at one point has left the ski on the beach or on the shore sitting 50% in water and 50% on sand. What has happened is sand collected from pump area and rested between driveshaft and bellow boot. Then when ski was put back into water and started, it caused the packed/compacted sand in that area to damage the carbon ring face - due to the space between driveshaft and ID of bellow boot.

Nothing wrong with beaching a ski (I do it all he time), just try to avoid parcial beaching where water and sand can get into the front part of driveshaft (water side). So I beach my ski above high-tide line (on incoming). I rather deal with a bald spot on hull (gelcoat) then replace carbon rings...

Also, from looking at the rust on driveshaft, you may have a hard time exposing the C-clip to remove the metal hat. Keep spraying it with penetrating fluid several days prior to repair.

As for the rust and exidation on components, welcome to SeaDoo. They have always had the worst engine paint in the industry. Nothing has changed since the old 580 days...

Should I replace the drive shaft as well when I do this?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    more then likely you're going to have to beat the assembly apart..so start laying in the pb blaster now and review all threads on driveshaft issues. There IS a factory tool to push the top hat back..might want to look into that as well.

+1
    As others have said fix it and ride it. But looks like the previous owner did a shit job rinsing the engine and inside!!! Always rinse off the inside with diluted dawn (like salt away) let air dry and spray down with wd-40 or similar. Always leave the hood and seat off to let air dry or condensation will build up and rust..like yours did. I have 155 hours on my GTR (same hull as your GTI) salt water its whole life and its a 2012 and looks brand new compared to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    What has happened is you or prior owner at one point has left the ski on the beach or on the shore sitting 50% in water and 50% on sand. What has happened is sand collected from pump area and rested between driveshaft and bellow boot. Then when ski was put back into water and started, it caused the packed/compacted sand in that area to damage the carbon ring face - due to the space between driveshaft and ID of bellow boot.

Very good point - I'd never thought of it that way about just how the position of where you beach it might contribute to sand washing into the boot while it sits.

To the OP - ride this thing and enjoy! There are plenty of other people out there with rust and corrosion much worse than yours. It really doesn't seem that bad overall.

Thread Information