Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

RS vs non-RS models

What makes the RS models perform 5 mph faster than non-RS models. Is it the ECU programing? Will a VTECH tuning give a non-RS model the same speed or are there other modification required?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tordude View Post
    What makes the RS models perform 5 mph faster than non-RS models. Is it the ECU programing? Will a VTECH tuning give a non-RS model the same speed or are there other modification required?
    RS models are "International" NON - North American ECU's. The Coast Guard limits all new PWC to 70 mph or less. Yes, the ECU software is different and below is the programing inside the stock ECU's. VTech, Motec, Riva, etc. tunes all bypass these OEM limits.

TUNING INFORMATION:
    The iControl Engine Management System has several factory limitations that must be considered when tuning/modifying your watercraft.

GPS Controlled Speed Limiter:
    U.S. models are governed to 67mph and International models are governed to 72mph. Note that this is actual speed as measured by hand held GPS and not speed displayed on instrument cluster.

Engine RPM Limiter:
    Both U.S. and International models have a factory engine RPM limiter set at 8,040rpm. Target engine RPM for modified applications should be 7,900-8,000rpm. The design of the iControl engine rev limiter allows the craft to run closer to limit than previous generation Sea-Doo’s without surging or losing power. iControl system will automatically close throttle as needed to reduce RPM if engine rev limit is reached.

Torque Limiter:
    Both U.S. and International models have a control system that calculates throttle position, boost pressure & engine RPM to limit maximum torque. When torque limit is exceeded, system will close throttle as needed to stay within factory specifications.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Iam in Australia and RS models eventuall get to 72 ... The same rpm limiters holds back early

+1
    With the restrictions removed, do I have to constantly monitor these limits? Or can I modify it and forget it? Also, with a VTECH flash and no other modification, what top speed can I achieve?

It's definately the sticker. I took mine off and could feel it fall off the pace. As soon as I put it back on it flew. Oh, I should say I did pile $8000 of mods on at the same time, but the sticker was the biggest win for sure).

Seriously, the difference is nothing in reality. A Vtech tune unlocks it completely. It's a true night / day difference. As to max speed, you can get it as fast as you want. It's only the depth of your pockets, size of your kahoonas (to dare to ride it) and your willingness to spend more hours wrenching rather than riding.

75mph is easy, cheap (cheaper than what I'm not sure) and easy to fit / maintain. 76-80 the costs go up much steeper than your mph do, by a long long way. 80+ is super expensive, requires loads of wrenching, tweaking and fine tune testing, and is often on a knife edge of going bang.

Fair point guys???

7. +1 by:

+1
    Tornado34, I appreciate the insight!

Out of curiosity, I see many on this site having skis blazing at 80+ MPH, but I'm curious what do you do with your skis once you achieve your objectives? Do you circuit race or drag race for money or is it just for the thrill of it. I'm not limited on financial resources and I enjoy the need for speed, but at the end of the day, I would think one would buy a high performance ski to enjoy riding with friends rather than throwing expensive parts at it?

For me, no cc or drag racing. Just blasting with friends. I cruise on my ski lots, so run 4000 - 6000 rpm for the most part. We take trips out to cool places, eat, drink, sunshine, chat n watch the world go by (wink wink).

During these trips, when the water calms down, you just wanna pull the trigger. Feel that relentless pull of acceleration followed by near instant high speed. The thrill is the drug. Much like a sports car is. 90% time you could be in a regular car, but then when you mash the pedal - whoa.

How fast is fast enough?

The Spark is a good example. It's not so quick in stock form as a regular muscle ski, but some (including me) would say it is infact more fun when you nail it. Not for the outright speed but for the nimble, playful ski it becomes.

Let's face it, there are much better sea craft for use as a means of transport, there are few as thrilling.

For the most part, most of my mods are for reliabillity a more free easy running engine and safety.

10. +1 by:

+1
    As long as my brother in law, 1tommygunner1927 is 0.5 mph slower than me I'll be content. He is bolting up a Turbo as we speak, because he can't stand looking at my ass anymore!

it is all good fun!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    During these trips, when the water calms down, you just wanna pull the trigger. Feel that relentless pull of acceleration followed by near instant high speed. The thrill is the drug. Much like a sports car is. 90% time you could be in a regular car, but then when you mash the pedal - whoa.
    This I can completely understand!!!! There are times I just cruise around, but when the waters Become flat, watch out and get of my way!!!! Granted I'm not the fastest on the water, but I love the rush!

+1
    Tornado34, I appreciate the insight!

Out of curiosity, I see many on this site having skis blazing at 80+ MPH, but I'm curious what do you do with your skis once you achieve your objectives? Do you circuit race or drag race for money or is it just for the thrill of it. I'm not limited on financial resources and I enjoy the need for speed, but at the end of the day, I would think one would buy a high performance ski to enjoy riding with friends rather than throwing expensive parts at it?
    good point and some of us do have blazing ski's... my target for my RXT was to have it as a mad accelerating machine capable of doing things only theme park rides could do... stupid handlebar bending acceleration that can be only described as brutal.. The objective was achieved and I have enjoyed more riding time with less hassle of worrying about the maintenance side of superchargers and slip.. power or boost is on tap at a press of a few buttons and there has been no obvious reason to upgrade the ski since I have done this..
    Each to their own... i could have bought a newer model ski, but they have nowhere the storage room that the older hulls have..

oh, and because the ski is quite a sleeper, most people are a bit surprised when you pass them or blow their sponsons off riding two up.. each to their own... i look at my rxp in disgust because i have to pull the charger out every 50 hours or so to keep an eye on things.. and its a pain... and believe me, until you feel the rush of a 20psi turbo launch, the concept of reality and what you think is fast certainly becomes another issue.. i am now wanting to turbo my rxp because the turbo requires alot less maintenance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information