+1

Looking Into an RXT...

Hey guys, my last ski was an '07 RXP and it was great. This go-round I'm going for an RXT. I was going to try to hold out for an '08-09 RXT-X, but is it worth spending $1,500-2000 more on that hard to find model vs a clean '07+ RXT? Some pre- '07s can be found even cheaper, but I like the idea of having the updated valvetrain... What do you guys think?

+1
    I'd argue yes. The 2008-2009s are very reliable and the only real issue was the pump tunnel. They also have a fast hull.

+1
    An RXT-X is extremely hard to find, RXP-X is much more common, at least around here. Although I'm pretty sure I want to go RXT this time for the extra storage capacity and option to fit a third person to get to the islands, I haven't completely ruled the more readily available RXP-X out yet. If I find a deal on an 08-09 RXT, does anyone know roughly the cost to get the 215 performing similarly? Sounds like the X charger, injectors, ECU tune (who does this?), EX IC (factory or aftermarket?)... Also read pump tunnel and pump are larger but unsure if that's necessary. Found an '08 GTX 215 with the X handlebar setup with low hours and priced well that got me thinking this way but not sure if it'd be worth it.
    Last edited by strubby; 04-13-2015 at 07:41 PM.

+1
    I owned both models "06 rxt and 08 TX" I was happier with the 06 RXT. As far as performance, they are not a world apart stock. The TX does perform better, but I didn't think the cost / maintenance differences were worth it IMHO.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sn-95 View Post
    I owned both models "06 rxt and 08 TX" I was happier with the 06 RXT. As far as performance, they are not a world apart stock. The TX does perform better, but I didn't think the cost / maintenance differences were worth it IMHO.
    Thanks for the response. Are maintenance intervals that much different between the two? I found a very clean low hour RXP-X that I think I'm going to buy. Anyone else think is is a bad call over a standard same year ('0 RXP or RXT?

What about an '11 RXT 260, how does that model compare to the hull I'm used to? I know they got longer and a little heavier. Found one around the same price as the '08 RXP-X and although I wasn't considering that hull... I don't know that I shouldn't...
    Last edited by strubby; 04-14-2015 at 04:13 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by strubby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sn-95 View Post
    Thanks for the response. Are maintenance intervals that much different between the two? I found a very clean low hour RXP-X that I think I'm going to buy. Anyone else think is is a bad call over a standard same year ('0 RXP or RXT?

I never said buying an X ski was a bad call. On the contrary "I loved both of my X models." The acceleration was the most noticeable differance between them and the 215 models.
    The maintenance intervals are the same. I just didn't like dealing with the hull congestion and additional maintenance that come with an external intercooler. I also didn't like the thought of running into pump tunnel issues on my TX. "my OCD and paranoia are well documented"

If you are trying to get the most performance possible "or if your intent is to buy a cheaper ski, and then turn it into an X", then by all means get an X model.
    If you don't need the fastest ski on the lake, and are more concerned about ease of maintenance and maybe saving some cash get a 215 model. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
    Last edited by sn-95; 04-16-2015 at 06:55 AM.

Thread Information