Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Sportster project

Hey guys, Thought id drop a post in here to share my experience fixing up a 2002 sportster with twin 720's

I bought the boat at the end of last summer as a little project with a blown engine. My intention is to fix her up asap now that the weather is getting better and hopefully get out on her very soon

A few pics of my process so far.

Engine bay when I had it. Left motor locked solid.

New oil lines and primed ready to be fitted

Pulled the 2nd motor to give it a going over with new oil lines a good clean and some paint etc

Hours and hours cleaning

Where I am now

+1
    Nice job. Should be like a new boat without the payments.

Thanks R-Doo, hopefully it'll turn out to be a nice little boat once it's all finished.

Im currently waiting on a starter motor to be delivered so I can get the other motor fired up. While i'm waiting for that i've got a few little things to sort out and hopefully going to attempt to buff and polish the bodywork this weekend. Not sure how thats going to turn out as i've never tried it before! i'll update with more pics as I get things done.

good job , i have a sea doo sportster 1800 with the same engines, I did the same you did but at the end the results weren't what I dreamed, just 53 MPH and 2.2 MPG .....so I installed a kawasaki ninja ZX14 on it ...200 HP 13 000 R.P.M fuel injected and used the gears to reach just 10 000 RPM in the jets .....
    the end 65 MPH and about 10 miles per gallon

Quote Originally Posted by leonardojmarrero74 View Post
    good job , i have a sea doo sportster 1800 with the same engines, I did the same you did but at the end the results weren't what I dreamed, just 53 MPH and 2.2 MPG .....so I installed a kawasaki ninja ZX14 on it ...200 HP 13 000 R.P.M fuel injected and used the gears to reach just 10 000 RPM in the jets .....
    the end 65 MPH and about 10 miles per gallon
    Now thats what I call a project, fair play to you. Bet that thing really shifts what that motor in it, and you also get the benefit of much better reliability with the Japanese motor fitted.

I originally planned to get a jetski but I went for the boat option so that I can take the Mrs along and also bring some friends out so i'm not too bothered if it isn't that fast. As long as it pulls some skis and a tube behind i'm happy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by leonardojmarrero74 View Post
    .....so I installed a kawasaki ninja ZX14 on it ...200 HP 13 000 R.P.M fuel injected and used the gears to reach just 10 000 RPM in the jets .....
    the end 65 MPH ...
    10K RPM in the jet pump

7. +1 by:

Starter motor came today, went straight out to fit it so I can get the other motor running. pushed the start button and clickkkkkk, looks like a solenoid has given up. Anyone know if all the seadoo solenoids are the same fitment?

Finally found time to do some work on the boat over the last week, Sorted the click issue. Turns out it was a positive wire from the solenoid to the starter motor gone bad. Replaced that and the engine turns over every time now

Had engine no1 fired up but it didn't sound healthy, really bad fuelling issue as its spluttering and cutting out really bad so pulled the carb to rebuild it. While I was in the process of doing the carb I noticed the accelerator pump was not working. Cleaned it all out and still no joy, the check valve seems to be working when theres no fuel in the line (blow & suck on the pipe and the valve opens and closes fine) but as soon as theres fuel in the system the valve seems to be sticking open and draws the fuel back through the valve. Anyone experienced this or know how to fix it?

Also had some time so do some buffing on the bodywork, one side done and it came out much better than expected.

:

More pics

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    After you start it , place it in FORWARD to release the limiter to bring the rpms up to test the motor better

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information