Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

pair of 2004 virage I running issues

both skis have currently sat for about a year and a half with all fuel drained and just go fresh fuel. A year a half ago both had the pressure regulator fall out of the fuel pump which was fixed. SKI #1 would then idle and run ok and would start missing sometimes at top end after about 10-15 minutes of run time(this was before ski had now sat for a year and a half) this ski has 120 compression on both cylinders, new ngk spark plugs, and pulling plug wires it is running on both cylinders but now after having sat for a year and a half this ski will not idle(both skis had gas drained and both have fresh gas currently)

SKI #2 after fixing fuel pressure regulator over a year ago this ski would run good for about 5 minutes and then would foul out #1 spark plug, clean plug or replace plug and ski would run good for another 5 minutes and foul out #1 plug. drained fuel and ski sat for about a year and a half, just put fresh fuel in ski and can ski will crank up and idle ok but bogs some with throttle(on hose) checked by pulling spark plug boot and have good spark on both cylinders but is not running on cylinder # 1 even with new plugs. pull new spark plug out and plug is soaked with fuel as if flooding out.

To eliminate any kind of fuel pump or regulator issues and attempt to clean injectors, i crimped fuel lines to fuel pump and hooked up a fuel injector cleaner with a mixture of injector cleaner and fuel. set fuel pressure to 20 psi and symtoms on both skis were exactly the same as when running off fuel tank and fuel pump in ski, I'm a marine tech by trade and have worked on yamaha and some kawaski skis for the past 5 years but these things are driving me nuts. I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions. btw i have tried searching and have not come across anything that has helped so far

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

See my signature links for some good info on how the Ficht direct injection system differs from tradition automotive type fuel injection.

You can swap the EMM between engines to see if the symptoms transfer. Do this for testing only, not for long term operation.

During storage the throttle position sensor or the EMM itself can degrade, just from passage of time.

The original TPS are known to fail with time and engine vibration (moisture getting inside). New replacement is preferred rather than hunting for 'good' used TPS. The current TPS version is improved over the original.

If the EMM have never been repaired then it is possible, even likely, that the EMM will need repair. There is a C89 capacitor inside that typically fails with age, and some other internal components that can degrade. Additional testing with a known good EMM can verify, but often the easiest path is to just send the EMM out for repair.

Ok. Tried swapping the emm's and symtoms stayed with ski so wouldnt think thats the main issue. From what i can find it sounds like i would loose spark when the tps goes bad(they are the newer style) spark is great on both cylinders on both skis. Injector voltage is 20-25 when cranking

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by atvtrailer View Post
    Ok. Tried swapping the emm's and symptoms stayed with ski so wouldn't think thats the main issue.

From what i can find it sounds like i would loose spark when the tps goes bad(they are the newer style) spark is great on both cylinders on both skis. Injector voltage is 20-25 when cranking
    A bad TPS (or a TPS wiring/connector problem) can create all sorts of weird symptoms.

No spark is only one possibility, depending on how the TPS has failed.

A bad TPS can cause no start, no idle, high revs, inconsistent idle, jumpy or poor response to squeezing the throttle, reduced engine power, etc.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Here is what *I* would try:

Try swapping EMM's again AND the injectors. You might have a faulty injector that is just dumping fuel.
    Try swapping TPS's
    Try swapping coil packs

Do these one at a time and see if anything clears up.

Is there a trick to getting the ficht injectors out? I tried unbolting it and gently pulling and prying the base up and they didnt act like they wanted to come out so i stopped. Last thing i want to do is break something that might not even be bad just because im frustrated that its not working how it should

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by atvtrailer View Post
    Is there a trick to getting the ficht injectors out? I tried unbolting it and gently pulling and prying the base up and they didnt act like they wanted to come out so i stopped. Last thing i want to do is break something that might not even be bad just because im frustrated that its not working how it should
    Which bolts did you remove? There are two long bolts, one down each side of the injector bracket. Remove the bolts entirely.

If you want to disconnect the fuel fittings, open the fuel tank cap to release and air pressure. Next wiggle the injector bracket up and off. Have a rag handy to catch gasoline dribbles. Don't lose the fat o-ring hiding under the bracket cap.

At this point the injector should just be flopping around with the tip sitting in the cylinder cavity. Lifts up with zero effort.

If you have done all the above and the injector is 'stuck' then something is wrong.

Any evidence of a sealant around the injector tip area? The stock injector has no sealant, no o-ring, just the metal to metal injector tip pressed against the cylinder head.

Yes i removed both bolts and the bracket/plate that goes ontop of the injector and the injector still remains solidly in place. Have known the skis since new and havent had anything done to the injectors

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Can you remove the fuel hoses and try to grab the body of the injector and rotate it?

After plenty of working and prying on the metal bases i got the injectors out. Swapped injectors and the one ski runs good on both cylinders with the swapped injector. Put the original injector back in #1 and it doesnt run on the #1 cylinder. Installed the other 2 injectors in the other ski and it now cranks up and idles and appears to be running alot better after wiping off the tips of the injectors. Any quick things to try to get that injector working properly? What options do i have? Im not familiar with the ficht injector and our normal injector shop doesnt do anything eith ficht injectors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information