Speed wheel/sensor issue

Good morning gents (and ladies). New to this forum and this is my second post so please forgive me if a break any forum protocol. My concern this morning is with my speed sensor/wheel. Although it registers a number on my display, its off by approx. 10-15 MPH. With my 2013 VXR (100% stock) wide open, my speedometer would fluctuate between 40-50 MPH, RPMs were good (redlined). Was the water smooth? Not really, small chop, so I realize with the ski bouncing off the water, the wheel isn't going to have continuous contact, thus fluctuation with the speedometer. GPS was registering 65ish. The wheel itself spins freely, almost too freely if you ask me, but since my ski status is 'newbie', I though I would bring my questions to the experts. Thoughts/suggestions?

+1
    Welcome to GH. Factory speedo wheels suck. If it spins freely, you really just have to live with it. Mine do the same thing.

+1
    Here is the solution to your speedometer problem, This is a GPS module to make it 100% accurate. This product works great, I have bought 4 of them for all my skis. No more wild speedo readings Here is the link http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...lb8ds13325eju3 Tommy Jordan

+1
    I'm inclined to think something is wrong if your speedo is off by that much on a 100% stock ski. Most folks on here have speedo issues with aftermarket ride plates, but that is somewhat expected. A wheel that is off by 10-15mph on a stock ski is just plain weird. My FZR and FX HO are both within a few mph of the gps.

Thanks for the quick responses. I agree Mike, its very weird. It almost as if it spins so fast the sensor can't get an accurate reading. Like I said in my original post, it spins freely. Like, I can flick it with my finger and it spins very easily, freely. I like the GPS mod idea 2fast. Did you install them your self? If so, how?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KBizzl View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses. I agree Mike, its very weird. It almost as if it spins so fast the sensor can't get an accurate reading. Like I said in my original post, it spins freely. Like, I can flick it with my finger and it spins very easily, freely. I like the GPS mod idea 2fast. Did you install them your self? If so, how?
    FYI both the paddle wheel on my FZ and FX HO spin very easily like you described. I wish there was an easy solution, but still seems weird to be that far off on a stock ski. Maybe check to see how it is mounted? It's only four screws holding it onto the ride plate. You could take it off and reinstall. Not sure it will help though.

+1
    You can not go wrong with the candoo gps unit. Have one on my FZS and love it

+1
    me too.
    from 10 to 80 is perfect.

Got my Candoo GPS speedo for my VXR. Installation and calibration was a snap, but what about the smaller disco'd connector? I should cover it with something to keep moisture out. Zip lock bag and a zip tie at least. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by KBizzl View Post
    Good morning gents (and ladies). New to this forum and this is my second post so please forgive me if a break any forum protocol. My concern this morning is with my speed sensor/wheel. Although it registers a number on my display, its off by approx. 10-15 MPH. With my 2013 VXR (100% stock) wide open, my speedometer would fluctuate between 40-50 MPH, RPMs were good (redlined). Was the water smooth? Not really, small chop, so I realize with the ski bouncing off the water, the wheel isn't going to have continuous contact, thus fluctuation with the speedometer. GPS was registering 65ish. The wheel itself spins freely, almost too freely if you ask me, but since my ski status is 'newbie', I though I would bring my questions to the experts. Thoughts/suggestions?
    I had a 2007 FX HO that the digital would be off about 15-25 MPH from the needle. The dealer just said that was normal. I was always curious why that would be normal on a stock ski.. I thought it was funny when the digital display said I was going 90 MPH!! Fast ski for non boosted.....

Thread Information