A few engine reinstall questions.

Hi guys, I've finally got my motor back in the hull. I'm waiting on my engine alignment tool turning up before I go ahead and connect everything so just wanted to ask a few questions.

1. When I use the alignment tool do I leave the new pto bearing with rubber boot off or is it best to connect it to the motor for the alignment?

2. When filling up with oil where would I stop with the engine being cold? I know it needs to be in the middle of the 2 bends when the engine is warm but I'm filling up a engine that has been compleatly drained from the engine being apart.

Thanks jamie

+1
    Should download the free manual... has everything.. http://www.seadoomanuals.net

Looking at the manual you put the adapter tool into the pto housing but the carbon ring carrier is still there but wouldnt hurt taking it off. it just follows the drive shaft.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	align.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	356085

As for oil if your engine is dead empty (new) i would nearly just fill it with the 4.5L but if its just a service empty would just do the 3L.
    If its a new engine or rebuild with no oil in the oil gallerys i fill with enough oil, i remove the spark plugs and crank it over for a little bit to get engine oil pressure up and around the bearings. then throw plugs back in and start and check oil.

Name:	oil.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	356087

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosta;2536231
    [COLOR=#FF0000
    1. When I use the alignment tool do I leave the new pto bearing with rubber boot off or is it best to connect it to the motor for the alignment?
    [/COLOR]

yes leave the rubber boot & bearing OFF to get the BEST alignment otherwise the bearing makes the alignment pin hang forward and down......GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosta;2536231
    [COLOR=#FF0000
    [/COLOR]

yes leave the rubber boot & bearing OFF to get the BEST alignment otherwise the bearing makes the alignment pin hang forward and down......GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!
    Awesome mate that's what I needed to know. Huge thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steven mace View Post
    Should download the free manual... has everything.. http://www.seadoomanuals.net

Looking at the manual you put the adapter tool into the pto housing but the carbon ring carrier is still there but wouldnt hurt taking it off. it just follows the drive shaft.

Name:	align.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	356085

As for oil if your engine is dead empty (new) i would nearly just fill it with the 4.5L but if its just a service empty would just do the 3L.
    If its a new engine or rebuild with no oil in the oil gallerys i fill with enough oil, i remove the spark plugs and crank it over for a little bit to get engine oil pressure up and around the bearings. then throw plugs back in and start and check oil.

Name:	oil.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	356087

thanks mate. Yeah I have the manual but it shows the bearing in place and my thought was it might be best not to fit it, but I wanted to check incase it needed to be for some reason.

Yeag as the pto cover has been off to upgrade flywheel bolts so the engine has been emptied of oil. Thanks again mate

Thread Information