Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation 2001 Polaris virage will not idle rough starting

Hey guys,
    I got a 01 virage the other day. It would not start at all for me. I cleaned the carb and replaced the junk tempo lines. Then I got it to start. It will now rough idle and then die out. I tried checking for air leaks and can not find one. I was told crank seal is common? I have tried calling every shop within 100 miles of me and no one will work on it and won't get me parts. I had a guy tell me I was better off setting fire to the thing and enjoy a beer while watching it go. I would really like to get it running properly and enjoy the ride. I checked the spark and have spark and the plugs are good. I can get it to start but have to keep revving it up to keep it going and even when undo that for a few mins It will die out and then it'll give me a hard start again. any help would be appreciated thanks in advance guys

+1
    what engine? 700? 1200??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miglater View Post
    what engine? 700? 1200??
    Fuel injected or carburetor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmo_20 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I got a 01 virage the other day. It would not start at all for me. I cleaned the carb and replaced the junk tempo lines. Then I got it to start. It will now rough idle and then die out. I tried checking for air leaks and can not find one. I was told crank seal is common? I have tried calling every shop within 100 miles of me and no one will work on it and won't get me parts. I had a guy tell me I was better off setting fire to the thing and enjoy a beer while watching it go. I would really like to get it running properly and enjoy the ride. I checked the spark and have spark and the plugs are good. I can get it to start but have to keep revving it up to keep it going and even when undo that for a few mins It will die out and then it'll give me a hard start again. any help would be appreciated thanks in advance guys
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    what engine? 700? 1200??
    Says carb but better to ask imo

+1
    So, just a quick thought...if its carb....you had the carbs off. on the carbs is a set screw to set Idle going off memory, idle should be 1,300 RPM +/- 100 it is possible that this screw was moved, and that it wont idle because the RPM is set to low, especially while you rev it, that it runs. that issue would the the easiest to fix LOL and im going off it being carbed, from your Polaris Facebook post where you said "2001 Polaris virage 700"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmo_20 View Post
    Hey guys,
    what engine? 700? 1200??
    Says carb but better to ask imo
    Indeed. Sometimes there is confusion regarding the actual model year and the engine type.

Better to have clarity and confirmation before diving in on the diagnostics.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    ... idle should be 1,300 RPM +/- 100 ...
    That would be the in-water idle RPM spec. On the trailer it will be significantly higher.

Holy crap; sorry guys... I can't believe I did that. It is a 700. Yes I had the carb off. I will post a picture of the carb. I didn't take any when I had it odd and apart.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    ... idle should be 1,300 RPM +/- 100 ...
    That would be the in-water idle RPM spec. On the trailer it will be significantly higher.

Thanks for the fact check Keith! derrr, yes out of the water my skis run over 3,000 RPM, this might be something to look at though, since you where in the carbs, easy to mess the idle setting up.

That's what I was trying to figure out- before I cleaned the carbs it would not start at all; you run at 3000 out of the water? Does it make a difference if I have the hose hooked up? One I only start it when the hose is hooked up and water is going through.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information