Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2015 SVHO - Fuel Octane, Fuel Consumption & Low RPM Mode Questions

I've had a few FX-HO skis as well as currently a 2013 SHO.

I/we ride pretty conservatively almost all the time, and don't often let it rip, and am very careful with my machines. I like having the power, but my WOT time is extremely limited. With this in mind, I have a few questions of the more practical variety as I've just ordered a pair of the new SVHO skis and have a few questions for those in the know:

1) The prevailing knowledge says you can't run 87 octane in these skis. How does "Low RPM Mode" actually reduce performance (does it retard timing etc..?) and would using this mode
    on occasional instances where you had to mix some 87 or 89 with your 91 octane allow the motor to better tolerate the temporarily lower octane?

2) My SHO drinks fuel big time compared to my MR-1 skis (even when laying off the boost and running around 5-6K consistently). It appears the SVHO may actually get slightly better
    fuel economy due to overall increased efficiency. Anybody done any tests or have hard RPM vs Fuel burn stats between SHO and SVHO?

3) Not in the title, but will the "old" SHO / HO Yamaha OEM covers fit the new RiDE equipped Skis? It seems the handlebars are wider - do the older covers still fit?

Thanks for any insight!

+1
    I do not have hard data but empirically it's clear the SVHO uses a bit less fuel in that 5k-6k range than the SHO used to.

I don't use it much but the "learner" mode seems to limit both rpm and acceleration...it's really limp, to the point of being pointless for even a learner, less than 5000 rpm if I recall correctly... Not sure how it's achieved, assumed just a different map on the ECU...

Sure someone more knowledgable will chime in.

Boattest.com has some hard numbers for you regarding MPG.

I think using 87 would cause the knock sensor to retard timing, thus sacrificing performance and MPG, hopefully without damage.

Only way to know on the cover is to try it!

Congrats on your new toys!

+1
    I always hit the water on high octane but almost always refuel in the water with low 86-87 octane dock fuel. Usually I will mix it in with a 1/4 to 1/2 tank of the high octane. Haven't had any problems yet at any throttle settings. I will assume the computer will make the proper adjustments to prevent damage at a slight loss of performance. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Got Water! View Post
    I always hit the water on high octane but almost always refuel in the water with low 86-87 octane dock fuel. Usually I will mix it in with a 1/4 to 1/2 tank of the high octane. Haven't had any problems yet at any throttle settings. I will assume the computer will make the proper adjustments to prevent damage at a slight loss of performance. I wouldn't worry about it.
    This is my plan (and to ride more conservatively with a heavy 87 mix) so glad you've had no issues.

Zone5, thanks for the 5-6k fuel burn confirmation. I never use low rpm mode either but i was thinking of it for a "safe mode" of sorts but don't know if it would in fact be "safer" with lower octane - just slower.

I purchased a 2015 FX SVHO with RIDE and bought a new cover. All of my older covers used to say "FX HO" or FX SHO" now the newer covers just say "FX Series" The dealer said that Yamaha wanted to downsize their cover line and made all of the FX covers to be big enough to cover all except cruiser models, just have to adjust the elastic cord to fit

+1
    [QUOTE=iamjcl;2537221]

Zone5, thanks for the 5-6k fuel burn confirmation. I never use low rpm mode either but i was thinking of it for a "safe mode" of sorts but don't know if it would in fact be "safer" with lower octane - just slower.
    No worries, yeah, you'd think it would probably be, tho confirmation from the gurus who play in the ECU would be wise.

I see it as "Oh shit, I'm running out of fuel at the wrong end of the lake!" mode, actually...

[QUOTE=zone5;2537777]
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjcl View Post

No worries, yeah, you'd think it would probably be, tho confirmation from the gurus who play in the ECU would be wise.

I see it as "Oh shit, I'm running out of fuel at the wrong end of the lake!" mode, actually...
    Ha - that's about right!

Thanks for the PM info by the way - good to know. The post I was talking about was regarding your initial observations of SVHO vs SHO, and you mentioned you thought the SV was a little quieter than the SHO at cruise - I assumed this was stock to stock, but then I had wondered if doing the "ribbon delete" either via RIVA kit or just removing the FA element made the ski noisier -vs- stock.

+1
    If it does your not going to notice.

+1
    Ah yes, I remember it now... At least on the two individual ski's I had, I do think the SVHO is a little quieter and smoother in the mid range, and a bit more menacing without being any noisier at WOT! And fair enough, that's what I paid for...

I can can pick a slight difference before and after ribbon delete, not so much volume as a slight change in note... Gotta be listening for it tho....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information