Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP! GSX sounds like it's bouncing off a rev limiter...

Hello everyone, hoping I can get as much input as possible on this one... Took my seadoo gsx limited to get a new key programmed for if yesterday since my buddy lost mine. I've had it our 3-4 times prior to today and when I brought it out today(after I got the new key) when I open up the throttle all the way it makes a noise as if it was bouncing off of redline or a rev limiter. Only when it's full throttle, please help- Aaron

+1
    Check the obvious stuff first. Intake grate clear of debris, impeller blades not damaged or debris, wear ring not chewed up or debris, impeller nose cone in place, pump clear of debris, venturi and steering nozzle clear of debris.

3. +1 by:

checked all of that as soon as it was running funny, everything looked the way it should. the impeller spun properly, ring sill looks brand new. it only when I put the throttle to the floor?...

+1
    This sound you are describing………is this happening at a stand still and you are pinning the throttle on your initial hole shot? Really sounds like over revving rpm for 2-4 seconds then then ski accelerates normally?

If so, the impeller is cavitating. Normally occurs with debris (even just a twig), wear ring clearance is too much, wear ring spinning, nose cone not secure riding up the drive shaft, impeller blades nicked, or impeller loose on the pump shaft.

Just looking at it is not going to find the problem. You need to remove the pump and impeller and inspect everything very closely.

www.brpmanuals.com

JT, I took everything apart. Wear ring is good, impeller is good, intake grate is clear of debri along with jet pump. The ski is doing this in AND out of the water. I was messing with the exhaust rave valve a little bit, opened it up. Fired it up the problem went away! Brought it out on the water, ski ran good for a couple minutes then the problem came back.

+1
    When you put the flipper to the bar how many rpms are you turning? You sure it's not an ignition problem? Maybe a bad plug or plug cap or even the ignition wire/s themselves.

Popped brand new plugs in this season, and I just replaced them again the other day hoping it was the plugs lol. Ski gets to a little over 7 grand on the rpm gauge

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronrich17 View Post
    JT, I took everything apart. Wear ring is good, impeller is good, intake grate is clear of debri along with jet pump. The ski is doing this in AND out of the water. I was messing with the exhaust rave valve a little bit, opened it up. Fired it up the problem went away! Brought it out on the water, ski ran good for a couple minutes then the problem came back.
    WTF does this mean?

the third rave valve connected to the water box, I unscrewed the red cap a couple turns?

+1
    That rave valve is a metered amount of water to help with tuning the pipe at high rpms. You don't want to mess with that, adding more preload will cause the valve to open later. Killing your performance. The rev limiter is set at 7200 so you are hitting it. That tells me your not loading the motor. Like stated there's an issue with your pump. Did you measure your impeller to wear ring clearance? .010 is max clearance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information