Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dinosaur?

+1

Dinosaur?

I'm 36 years old married with 2 kids. I bought my first machine 18 years ago and fell in love with the sport. I've had a 91xp, 99gp760, 2001gp1200r and my last ski in 2006 a gp1300r.
    In 2008 I sold it and completely got out of the sport. I got married, expecting my first kid, work= no time etc,etc,etc. I also have a boat which is way more family friendly... I always dreamed of owning another ski but never pulled the trigger until 3 weeks ago. I bought 2 matching gp1300r's. (The best/fastest I've ever owned.) I've been out of the sport for years now. In 2006 4strokes really didn't catch on yet. The new machines appear and I have since learned to be more technologically advanced, faster, better on gas, flashier but are $15k.
    So the question I have is in my midlife crisis (as my wife calls it)
    Did I buy 2 almost 10 year old dinosaurs?

+1
    LOL

+1
    If you enjoy the machines it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. I was on my '01 Pro1200 for 11 seasons and sold it in '12 to get a 4 stroke. There are still days when I miss that boat.

+1
    Welcome to GH! Where on LI are you from ? Check out the group link in my sig for local rides and meet ups.

+1
    I feel it's a matter of your own opinion as well. In MY opinion, I feel the newer 4 stroke skis have their place. The hulls on the 4 stroke skis I've tried (Yamaha FZR and Kawi 300x) are much larger and suit themselves better for larger busier lakes and salt water. They are hard to keep up with in the chop (2ft +) and impossible to keep up with on long runs in chop if your GPR is setup for smooth. When we ride our GPR'S we are usually on smaller lakes and there we dominate, but I've not come up against any super modified FZR'S yet. (Probably because by the time you're done buying it most people don't have any money left to mod it) But when we all go on vacation to larger lakes, we only dominate in the early morning when it's still calm...after that the bigger machines shine. The GPR's beats us up more in rough water and by the end of the day we're tired. There are pluses and minuses to everything and vacation riding is the 2 weeks out of the year we need to suck it up. In my opinion I like the small sporty feel of the GPR platform. These other craft are getting SO big and SO expensive I'd almost rather buy a boat. I'm 5'11" and over 200 lbs and can stand in ONE footwell on my friends 300x without it flipping. Try that on a GPR and you'll take a bath. I like the GPR platform...they are STILL the fastest PWC hulls ever made...and they stopped making them in 2008. How can that be a dinosaur? Is an old Shelby Cobra a dinosaur? We love our GPR'S and have no desire to change. I think you bought 2 inexpensive, playful, totally modifiable, and enjoyable skis that with a little work will still scare the crap out of and beat anything stock you could buy today. JMHO
    Last edited by Prism; 04-17-2015 at 06:35 AM.

+1
    South shore, east islip
    Back in the day I used to launch out of lindenhurst- venetian shores
    I miss that area, much calmer than west channel / east islip

+1
    Hello KevinGPR, and welcome to the Hulk! Yes, the GPR's are getting a little long-n-the tooth LOL. But so am I. Most of what can be said for them was stated earlier. I for one can not afford a new ski that runs in the amount above $10-14K. I have always tried to make it a point never finance a hobby. However, I guess owning airplanes does not count. LOL. I own two strokes because they are fast, fun to ride, and fun to work on. Part of having a 2 stroke is pushing the limit on what they are capable of. I must admit that if a 4 stroke ski were to some how show up @ my dock .... I would enjoy the hell out of it. I am 60 years old and never get tired of racing my skis. I show up @ Regional & National events with my old 2 strokes and I get a lot of stares. But once I fire up the ol beast & let her rip .... the yaws drop a little. Yes, it is hard to run against SC & Turbo skis, they shit on me on hole shots. But if I can catch them in a boat length or two and get past there wake ... I ride like I stole it. Yes, GPR's are still fun! So I say be happy with them and the $$$$ you still have in your wallet.

+1
    I feel better already.
    I know I made the right move. 2 badass skis for half the price of 1 new.
    Just needed reassuring I guess

9. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    There's nothing dinosaur about a GP1300r, basic mods and you're flying past those 4-stroke guys. A mild built GP1300r that does low 70's on the GPS will beat 99.9999% of any ski you run into on the water.

Until you run out of gas 20 miles later.

11. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by riick370 View Post
    There's nothing dinosaur about a GP1300r, basic mods and you're flying past those 4-stroke guys. A mild built GP1300r that does low 70's on the GPS will beat 99.9999% of any ski you run into on the water.

Until you run out of gas 20 miles later.
    The 2 strokes are no worse than a 4 stroke running on boost.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information