Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Water in Engine after top end rebuild ?

I just got done putting the entire engine back together, This go around I had the jugs ported by Tim Judge. I installed new VF3 Reeds & free flow exhaust. It started right up in my garage. No issues ... and then I put it in the water. It started right up while in water for about 1 min. I shut off and then pushed off the trailer. it started up loud pop and shut off. OMG ! I pulled it out and I pulled the plugs, it was full of water in cylinders. I kept turning it over until I got all the water to blow out. I clean the plugs off and got it to fire up. I ran it several times for about 30 seconds @ a time until no more water came out & to help ensure it was dried out. This is where I am now .... HELP !

+1

Hey there..

Did you pressure test the motor after assembly.?
    - Also did you pressure test the cooling system.?

If the hull isn't leaking in water, that could allow the intake system to ingest it.?
    - Did you have the bungs in.? (seen that SOOOO many times.!)

I would be looking at a faulty head gasket or a wrongly installed cylinder base gasket..
    You could also inspect the exhaust manifold gaskets for blockage/leakage.

A plugged up exhaust could also allow water to work it's way back into the cylinders (unlikely though)

Was this in fresh or salt water when the issue occurred.?

I'd personally pull the motor and recheck everything.

Banned User
    +1
    Pressure testing the motor should tell you if you have a leak where water could get in.

4. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Its really easy and lots have done it. One of the base gaskets is on backwards. look at the tabs and u can see the one, unless u did all 3 lol

Banned User
    +1
    While you have that cylinder that got the water in off. Ck to make sure that the neddls from the top berring did not dig into the rod. look and feel real close. If they did and likley too then they did on the bottom of the rod as well. It wont be long before u will throw a rod. If the top shows no roughness or diging into the rod ur good to go.

+1
    Yes, I agree maybe the cylinder gaskets are backwards? The only other thing I can surmise, is its an exhaust manifold gasket (there are two). PITA

+1
    P.S. yes I did all three cylinders. Will I be able to see the tabs as I look down on the cylinders ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    P.S. yes I did all three cylinders. Will I be able to see the tabs as I look down on the cylinders ?
    Yes..

You'll be able to look down and identify if any of the base gaskets are wrongly installed..
    - There are locator tabs that must all be orientated the same..

The reason I asked if it was salt or fresh water is.
    - If it has salt water down in the crank area time is super critical to get it out..!! (fresh is bad enough but salt will tear that crank up in no time at all.!!)

+1
    Quadzilla, WFO, & Rocketman, Thanks. Yes I did discover one of the cylinder base gaskets was installed backwards (#1 cy). Was fresh lake water. I ran it a lot for short periods of time after blowing out the water. Now, with the head off It appears pretty dry. Would'nt you know it, the only gaskets I did not install were the cylinder base gaskets. Surdyke Yamaha installed the cylinders & rings. After everyone chimed in last night I went to the manual to view the correct installation of the cylinder gaskets (tab placement), and the #1 is backwards (flip over), very easy to see when looking down from top. So real question is how much should I break down (removing exhaust etc.), as you all know it's PITA. When they installed them I had no exhaust on the engine.

+1
    Surdyke Yamaha installed the cylinders & rings.
    Think I'd personally be looking to the company you mentioned above to be putting this right for you..
    - Although, I'd have an issue that they may just "fuck it up again"

Your possible problems may arise a little bit further down the road.
    A submerged crank is never really a good thing.
    - I've had a few motors that got water logged in the past. I always got them running that same day or night when I dragged it home.
    - then either the same day or the next day it got ran "hard" for at least an hour no matter what..!!

I know you said you ran it a few times to get it hot..
    - there will almost certainly still be a fair amount of water in various parts of the motor.
    - the little bit of heat you've managed to get into the motor won't really be enough of a safeguard.
    - Crank bearings do NOT like water in them at all..

That's why I mentioned I'd personally pull the motor and inspect it.!!

If nothing else throw the head back on and run it down to the place that did the work and see what they propose.?

Apologies if I'm coming across as the messenger of doom..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information