2003 MSX 140 It's time to stop staring at it and get dirty.

I bought a 2003 MSX 140 with 65 hours on it, for a project in early April 2015. It was running at the time of purchase, I want to refurbish everything and go over it with a fine tooth comb. I am interested in learning all about the interworkings of the personal watercraft. I have owned a 1997 Polaris SLX 780 and a 2001 Polaris Virage which I was able to work on a little bit and maintain on my own. I never had any major issues that I encountered or needed to wrench myself. I aquired the MSX so I would have something to tinker with and pulll things apart to look at, clean up, repair/rebuild, and overall learn and understand. I enjoy working on projects, and I love the water, so it's time to start MY MSX Project!!! I have found this Forum to have the most incredible amount of information rearding all things PWC, let alone the MSX. THANK YOU for the passionate and dedicated souls who are willing to take the time to breakdown the steps and details, that give the rest of us the confidence to endure our projects!!!
    I have started pulling off the Storage and Shroud parts, the screws are all seized in the nylon washers. So that led me to take a break and work on another area...the gas tank. I noticed the steering was rubbing on the top of the fuel pump assembly, the straps to the fuel tank were missing the connecting straps so I believe the issue was caused by the tank not being properly secured. I also noticed the Big Nut that secures the fuel pump assembly to the tank was loose and was not able to be tightened evenly due to the steering. I know the PO installed a fuel kill switch in the glove box, so it makes sense to me why all of the areas I mentioned above are not secured. I siphoned out the old fuel and removed the pump. (Of course I removed the steering as well to access the fuel pump.) The Return nipple on the top of the pump is completley fractured, the the rubber seals have been gouged by the steering rubbing as well. I can see the coating on the wires have been compromise inside the fuel pump assembly leading to the pump. I would like to rebuild the fuel pump/assembly and replace filters and wires. What is the best way to go about the rebuild?
    I also removed the oil tank and there is such a mess under the fuel tank, that I want to remove it to clean the hull out.
    So I am at the point of preparing to remove the engine, so I can clean the entire Hull. I guess it will make going over the engine alot easier being out of the hull
    Is there any special order I should use? Ie: Exhaust system, Fuel Lines, Electrical?
    Once I get the engine out and clean the hull, I'll prep that for paint and than go over the engine in the meantime.
    Lots of work ahead, but this is a rough idea of the order I plan on going.
    I figure once the hull is cleaned and painted I will install the fuel tank/pump assembly, oil tank, steering, engine, fuel lines, exhaust. Of course I will change out all the water and oil lines too and have some electrical work tossed in as well. If there is a better way, IDEAS and ADVICE is always WELCOMED!!! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Too late tonight for me to work through your list of questions. Let's see what the others suggest come Saturday.

If you have not yet, have a look at my signature links. Lots of good info in there.

Tip: Take lots of digital photos before and during disassembly. Later on you may need to refer back to see how something was attached or positioned.

I use labelled baggies for bolts, nuts and other small parts. Organize them in a box or bin as you work, makes it much easier during reassembly.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Fuel kill switch? That makes me suspicious that something is wrong and the added switch is a hack or workaround. Ficht engines automatically control the fuel pump via the big EMM module.

Thanks K447. I wanted to start pulling the engine today (Monday), but I have to install a fence with a gate to store my trailer because the county keeps picking on me about having it in the driveway for more than 10 minutes. So I will charge up my camara and look at the fuel switch wiring and take some photos. I was told the PO installed it as a safety issue. I dont understand it either, but I will investigate further.

Thread Information